I believe the Aeros use those perfectly legitimate excuses to counter adversity, but I don't say that I blame them. If I had to play 11 games in 12 days, or whatever the hell they did, I'd do a crappy job too ... especially if they were all on the road. I also note a difference in the team's defensive play when Anton is in goal. They are more tentative; faceoffs percentage goes down, the number of odd-man rushes go up, for example. Statistically, Barry Brust has been the Aeros best goalie this year, and he won't get a start in the 2009 playoffs tournament.
Stranger things have happened, but the odds are against them as far as getting out of the first or second round. Since the Aeros came back from the dead in 1994, only TWO AHL teams have won the Calder Cup as a seed as low as the Aeros.
The 1996 Rochester Americans went 37-33-5-4 and finished 3rd in the Central Division (top four qualified that year). They won the Cup.
In 2002, the pesky Wolves were 37-31-7-5, good for just a seven seed. They too won the cup and started a string of former IHL teams that would go on to raise the Calder Cup.
If information is King, consider yourselves honorary jesters.
1 comment:
You're not looking at the Kolanos factor. He's playing for a contract and another chance at the NHL. And what better way to do that than to put a team on his back and carry them through the playoffs?
Post a Comment