Consider this quote from Kevin Constantine about what the Aeros did Wednesday night in their 3-2, overtime win over the Peoria Rivermen at Toyota Center:
“One strength of this team, even more so than any other team that I have been with, is the come-from-behind part. The two goals we scored late is something that we have been able to do all year. This team has just always hung in there.”
I have said this all along, and I will continue to believe it. This is the best comeback team I have ever seen, and I have been watching or covering the Aeros since 1994. If anyone wants to debate this, you pick the time and place.
Teams that have 2-0, third-period leads in the playoffs don't lose games, but the Rivermen did that tonight. I sat in amazement how Shaun Davis called penalty after penalty after penalty, and I knew that if the Aeros, who entered the game hitting 40 percent of their PP chances, something, anything could happen.
The Aeros could win this series on their power play alone if they keep getting all these chances. Legace was mostly helpless on the first and third goals, and he stopped a pretty decent shot through traffic by Falk before Earl's tying marker on the rebound.
Look, I am starting to like whatever mojo Khudobin is bringing with him to the rink, but he was a little shaky in the first two periods. He saw a lot of shots, and when luck was on his side early (Regier missed on a breakaway for example) I had a feeling that he would be OK.
Now the Aeros have two chances to win the series. For all you stat nerds -- and I think I will call myself your president or VP of that department -- the Aeros have been in six playoff series that they have led three games to two. They have won five of those, so history is on their side.
The only loss you ask? 2001 ... final IHL year against Manitoba. That team actually led 3-1 and lost the last three games, including two in double overtime. The last two games of that series were at home and the good old Compaq Center.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
No mistake about it, this was one UGLY game. Better to win ugly than to lose ugly.
The Aeros could do nothing right for two plus periods. THEY LOOKED AWFUL. Some of the worst hockey I've ever seen. Top to bottom. Giving Anton a star tells you just how bad things were on the ice.
He got it done and got in the way of plenty of shots where he was looking the wrong way, looking in the net behind him for the puck, swinging wildly at are because his reflexes were so off, giving up rebound after rebound so going clear out to the blue line. Bottom line he gets the W, no arguing that one but the 2nd star? Please.
If any coach was pleased with any part of his game except his intensity and the W then I'd be amazed.
I thought Matt Beaudoin deserved a star and didn't get one. Bryan Lundbohm had another good game in my opinion. Mitch Love was good as well.
The Aeros were outplayed for most of this night and fortunate to get the win.
I'll have photos tomorrow.
They break your heart in the start and then they make you love them in the end....I love the AEROS!!!! YAY!!!!
Fred,
I vividly remember a much worse game...February 27, 09 vs the Icehogs... so bad, I called the team (tongue in cheek) the "LOST on ice".
In comparison, last night was just 'a bit lost'; but topped with a WIN. But as you so aptly put it: 'winning ugly is better than loosing ugly'!
Looking forward to your pix of this memorable game, in more than one ways!
Post a Comment