Whoever T-Bone is underneath that massive head — great job this season. Tonight, he took on a bozo from Houston. Once again, we had to endure obnoxious Houston fans who seem to think they can take over the place, whether it's the AT&T Center, the Alamodome or the old Freeman Coliseum. It's OK to cheer for your team, folks, and when your team scores, cheer and then sit down. As a Red Sox fan, it's embarrassing when fellow members of Red Sox Nation do the same thing in Arlington, or Yankee fans ditto there — but then, when your/our team loses, like you Aero fans' team did last night, it's a long walk out of the place with your losing jerseys on.Oh snap. I get that, though. I always hated opposing fans anywhere near me at Aeros games. Even in small numbers. Even sober. Even relatively quiet and only cheering for goals. But then, I'm a not the most sportsmanlike gal you'll find. You're either with me or against me when it comes to my most beloved teams. I can only imagine how irritating it must have been for SA fans last night with Aeros fans showing up in such large numbers.
I don't mind saying, I don't like San Antonio. They have tended to goon it up pretty good through the years, but they've shown a lot of heart to continue pushing through the last half of the season with the degree of success they've had.
And I do feel for their fans, who have endured a lot and must be awfully disappointed to see their team finish the season as one of the best teams in the league, yet earn no post-season play for it. Were the Aeros in a similar situation, it would be a very bitter pill to swallow.
8 comments:
We cheered for our team. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't think we did anything "obnoxius" except try to show the support for the boys. The "incident" with T-Boob was instigated by him and I wouldn't have stood for it either. I would have pressed assualt charges if it had happened to me. There's no excuse for the home teams mascot to get so pissed that he puts one of our fans in a headlock and starts pounding him in the torso. I was absolutely amazed that the young man didnt' get the SA police involved. I sure would have.
It may well have been an act (I dunno because I didn't even see it) but it's become the "in thing" at some venues to dress a stooge in the opponents jersey and take liberties with him that one would not normally associate with good sportsmanship and borders on assault.
If the trend continues I predict it will lead to some "overzealous" (read that as drunken slob) home fan attacking a visiting fan in the same manner as witnessed with the mascot or in game crew, leading to arrests and law suits.
Not having been there it IS hard to judge. In any case any outlandish behaviour (drunk or not) by fan OR foe is simply not acceptable.
Even if the loss is disappointing, fans need to continue to root for their team.
It wasn't an act. Read my comment I left on the Wild message board:
http://boards.wild.com/index.php?showtopic=27671
The SA Rampage guy with the mike set with T-Bone was even concerned and tried to get him to stop.
The "incident" with T-Bone was a set up. That was a SA fan dressed in an Aeros jersey... Anyone notice he never returned to his seat?? It was verified with the Aeros reps that were there that it was an act! On the way out, several of us shook hands with the guys that were changing "Go home Houston". We got lots of well wishes from their fans for success in the playoffs!! Although there were some obnoxious fans for both teams, I think most of us had a great time!
All is forgiven if it was a set up.
So what do we do about Heather and the Zooperstars today?
Just keep 'em out of press row and nobody will get hurt. (Though really, I'm so effin' tired today, that one with the big mouth could swallow me whole and I might just appreciate having a soft, warm place to take a nap.
Post a Comment