Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Monday, April 27, 2009

A View From The Press Box

I sent Andrew, Heather, and Fred an e-mail between the second and third period. I said if the Aeros of the first period came out for the third period they would win the game. I said if the Aeros of the second period came out, Peoria would win.

I think we now know which Aeros team came out.

The final score was 5-2 Houston. Though that score doesn't do justice to just how close this game was. Maxim Noreau scored late in the third to put Houston up 3-2. Peoria was attacking with under a minute left, they'd finally been able to pull Manny Legace, and pow, Corey Locke and then Mitch Love got the empty-netters. And just like that, Game Seven was over and onto Milwaukee it is for the Aeros.

I'll have much, much more later tonight, as I've got interviews to transcribe and a story for the mothership to prepare first. But from the start of the game it appeared that Krys Kolanos wanted this victory, and you could tell by his effort on the first goal. You could also tell from the start that Anton Khudobin was going to have a rough night, which he did. But luckily, his defense stepped up to keep him and the team out of trouble.

It was basically a story of two games. The first and third periods which saw the Aeros constantly attacking the net, constantly attacking Legace, and the story of the second which saw the Aeros trying to play it safe and not screw up, resulting in them getting absolutely zero shots for the period.

And one more thing, I didn't see the disputed Max Noreau goal of the first period. I arrived and got into my seat at the press box next to Tom Lynn just as the puck dropped. I saw the Kolanos goal, but I was trying to get situated, and I was scribbling notes when suddenly Lynn jumped up screaming about how could they miss that. All that I know is that replay showed the net move. And as you'll see later when I've got the interviews transcribed, Kevin Constantine said that the on-ice officials thought there was a goal, but they didn't see it, and since the goal judge didn't indicate there was a goal, then there was nothing they could do.

But it doesn't matter now. The Aeros win. The Aeros win. The Aeros win.

My personal three stars of the game are 3) Clayton Stoner. I don't know if you could tell on the radio or by watching on AHL Live, but Stoner was delivering some serious hits and keeping Peoria honest, 2) Matt Beaudoin didn't make a goal, but he had one hit off of the pipe in the second and it was his shot bouncing off of Legace that set up Noreau's game-winner. And when the offense disappeared in the second period, Beaudoin was one of only two Aeros who kept trying to apply pressure, the other is my number 1) star, Krys Kolanos. Kolanos got the game going on the right foot with his first period goal, and he and Beaudoin were the only two Aeros who kept the pressure on the Peoria defense and Legace throughout the entire game.

And courtesy of Patrick Armstrong, the Aeros PR guru, comes this tidbit of information. Game One is in Milwaukee on April 30. Game Two is in Milwaukee on May 2. Game Three is in Houston on May 5. Game Four is in Houston on May 7. Game Five (if needed) is in Houston on either May 8 or May 9. Games Six and Seven (if needed) are in Milwaukee on May 11 and May 13.

Now I've got to unpack and pack. Transcribe some interviews. And write some stories.

No comments: