Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Round 1, Game 4: Boom Boom Pow

Thanks to one of my Facebook friends, I've had that friggin' Black Eyed Peas song in my head all day. Here:



You're welcome.

Games 2 and 3 the Aeros brought the Boom Boom. Tonight they exploded with a Pow. But if you've been watching this team, you couldn't have been that shocked, right? They never EVER get anything done the easy way, which I guess typifies the "Comeback Kid" personality of the team.

Wednesday, I suggest they get the gear all wet, dress out of their bags, maybe go sit in the airport for a few hours instead of getting naps and food.

Or maybe they just need to get Krys Kolanos back on the mend and Khudobin seeing the puck better (assuming he even starts... I thought Climie looked quite sharp in his twelve and a half minutes of play).

Lots of disappointing hockey in front of Dimples tonight though, as John mentioned. The chemistry on the ice just wasn't there and with both KK and Olvecky out, the lines just weren't clicking as they had been the last couple of games. Some guys just looked lost at times.

I debated on whether to call Pouly out again. I'm not going to though. I'm not even going to make the "Pouliot = Wullerton" joke that only a few of you will get. *spit*

However, I continue to just be knocked out by Justin Falk. He's just working his ass off every minute of every shift. He's got a Clutterbuckian work ethic and he's just damned effective at tying up forwards behind the net, being a big, protective presence in front of the goalie, sticking with the offensive rush and poking the puck away.

He's usually got that big stick of his in the right place (that's what she said), and I haven't seen him make a dumb decision with the puck in a while (whereas his more experienced teammates did about 25 dumb things with the puck tonight alone). I love love love the way this kid is developing and he's just a pleasure to watch. As the Peas would say, he got that boom boom boom.

Here are some links to game write ups that don't contain hip-hop references or inappropriate innuendo about young players (if you like that sort of thing):

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have to call out Benoit Pouliot, the Wild have done that for you.

Benoit Pouliot, 1st round draft pick, #4 overall, 51 NHL games over 3 years, continuously disappointing at the AHL level.

John Scott, undrafted, didn't really know if he'd play pro hockey or not, played 20 NHL games this season, scored himself a one year, one-way NHL contract.

SNAP

Really nothing you can add to that.

Ms. Conduct said...

Well, yeah, Fred and several commenters did the job for me.

beware the bears said...

Yes, Falk has improved over the months on ice with Aeros. He is a lot less tentative, his speed has picked up, and seems to be in the right place, most of the times, now. My better half was sooo off on Falk early on, but now has come round to my (if that counts, eh?) opinion of the boy.
So...what IS next? 'Happy Days will be(LOL)here again...' you put the notes to that.

Ms. Conduct said...

I agree with your better half. I wondered the first 2/3rds of the season if he was going to be able to get there. His rep out of junior was that he had terrible decision making with the puck and I was seeing that in spades. But you could see he was working hard and I was hoping for the best. I'm tickled pink about him. That he's adorable as a basket full of puppies is just gravy.

Anonymous said...

clutterbuckian!

beware the bears said...

Great Dane puppies or perhaps Greyhounds/Saluki puppies :)?
Puppies and kittens are hugable, but so are some boyz on ice,mmmmh?

Ms. Conduct said...

I've never seen a not-cute puppy, so really any breed will do, though for his stature, I'll go Great Dane. It'll have to be a big basket though.

Jennifer Hammer said...

man i love that song. just had to add that...

Ms. Conduct said...

Shhh, Hammer, it literally took me 24 hours to get it out of my head. I like it too but not nonstop on the radio in my mind.