* This is how I would react to what I saw last night if I paid money to watch the Aeros play instead of working to provide (mostly) unbiased analysis about the team.
Facts are facts.
Anton Khudobin is playing lousy hockey and there is nothing the Aeros can do about it.
Go to ahllive.com and watch highlights from all the games he's played.
BIG.
FAT.
JUICY .... Rebounds.
Lots of them, and just look at how many of those turned into goals last night.
Shot. Rebound. Shot. Score.
Shot. Rebound. Shot. Score.
Repeat once again, if necessary, and most teams do when Khudobin is in goal.
We're not talking a few here and there and they are in. We're talking four or five a period.
Unless some goalie fairy comes down from hockey heaven and does a magic foo-foo on his pads, the Aeros are toast in Game 2 if he starts it. How did this kid do so well in the ECHL? The capital city of that league IS Rebound, U.S.A.
Look, I love the kid and have nothing but good things to say about him in regard to his "want-to" and his desire to win. He gets that. But what he's not getting is a very basic part of being a successful goaltender.
Could the defense be better? Yes! Hey boys, try to clean up that garbage, you know, every now and then.
But the Aeros are what they are, for lack of a better phrase. They start games bad, the find a way to get back in it usually, and they are out shot just about every night.
And when 25 shots turned into 32-35 shots because of rebounds (right on the proverbial doorstep), you're not going to win many hockey games.
OK, I am back to being a reporter now and not a fan.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Seems to me comparing Khudobin at 23 !!! with just a "few years behind his mask" to Legace at 36 !!! and a much, much longer career in the pipes is as liking orange blossoms to oranges.
I do, too, hate that the Aeros lost, however....
I am equally sure, Legace has had to learn his craft in his early years in order to become as efficient he is now; his heart and mind obviously is for his team: AHL or NHL!
Maybe if Khudobin played against the other goalie Holt (24 yrs) AND lost, we'd have some real reason to complain.
You ARE right about the defense, though, there IS work to be done.
I wish I could say that all I was do was comparing the two. I realize that he is young, and I realize that he has (probably) a nice future ahead of him. But the whole point of this was to say that a) I thought he played poorly and b) controlling rebounds is his biggest problem right now.
A lot of goalies only wish they were handed this kind of opportunity, and so far, Anton is not making the most of his.
And please know that I am not JUST judging him for his work last night in Peoria. This rebound issue seems to be just that ... an issue ... and has been since he arrived.
Ok, explanation accepted. Maybe if he reads all these constructive comments, he will work harder on the issue over the summer, but picture this: No Schaefer, No Brust and No Khudobin....would Munce do better? Scary ride, and not at Disneyland! Ah, well....
OK, so maybe I was a little rough on the kid, and I certainly don't expect him to even remotely consider any pointers from me.
I was just subtly trying to point out, as you did, that the Aeros are in a very bad situation right now. Is it Anton's fault ... heck and hell no.
I think he'll learn a lot from this experience. But in the playoffs, it's all about "What have you done for me lately?"
Bite your tongue...
a shut out victory for Khudobin!!!Assisted by improved defense-bravo to all 'boyz on ice' and coaches.
Great game! Rest and play as well or better here tomorrow evening. We'll be there!
Post a Comment