Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An Idiot's* Guide To The AHL Playoffs

I know we all love Andrew's color-coded charts, and they contain lots of useful information. But I just wanted the nitty-gritty on the Aeros playoff chances and possible seedings. So I did some checking on likely playoff scenarios with the Aeros press relations department. And here is my Idiot's* Guide to the AHL Playoffs.

If Quad City loses to Rockford tonight, then the Flames are out. For the Flames to make the playoffs, they must win out and Rockford must lose all of its remaining games in regulation play. The Flames and the Aeros cannot meet in the first round.

Houston still has a chance to be the number two seed. But for that to happen, Peoria must lose all of it's remaining games, and the Aeros must get at least five points out of their remaining three games. If Peoria wins one of its remaining games, then the best seeding the Aeros can get is three.

The Aeros get the three seed if they finish the season with more points that Rockford. Otherwise, they're the fourth seed.

If the Aeros are the four seed, they meet Milwaukee in the first round. Milwaukee will have home ice in the best of seven series.

If the Aeros are the third seed, they will probably meet Peoria, and Peoria would have home ice. If the Aeros are the second seed, they will have home ice over Peoria or Rockford.

We should have a clearer picture of possible seedings, etc., after tonight's games in which Peoria faces Milwaukee and Rockford and Quad City go at it. And remember, if Quad City loses tonight (that's a regulation or OT/SO loss), then the Flames are out and Rockford and Houston are officially in.

*The idiot in this scenario is me, not you, the readers.

4 comments:

Snikpip said...

Is it just me, or should it read "If the Aeros are the SECOND seed, they will have home ice over Peoria or Rockford."?
(I'm one of those people that the term 'idiot' refers to, at least as far as the inner workings of playoffs go.)

Fred Trask said...

I believe you are correct Snikpip so I edited it because I think that is what John was trying to say.

Admirals Short Shifts said...

Looks like last night's action eliminated the slim chance of Rockford being a potential first round opponent for you guys.

Nick in New York said...

Great post...from what has quickly become one of my absolute "must reads." Thanks!

From Nick
Another Idiot.