Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ice Girls Seem Like A Nice Idea to Me


Thursday's game with the Iowa Stars was really a rather boring affair. So boring that those of us up in the "press box" were discussing whether Family Guy is funny -- I was the only one to say no, but at least Eric Cartman agrees with me. Then Marco Rosa, I believe, was making a play with the puck on the boards by the Iowa bench, but instead of moving freely and flowing toward the goal, the puck got caught up in the ice shavings/snow gathering at the boards.

That's when Heather -- yes, Heather, not me, Heather -- stated that the Aeros really needed some Ice Girls. Now I've long been of this opinion, but that's just because I like to pretty women. But as Heather noted, the NHL Ice Girls are often out on the ice during breaks in play taking care of the ice and scraping away the snow and shavings that gather on the boards and in front of the net.

So why shouldn't the Aeros get some Ice Girls? Sure, they've got the Lady Dynamics. But the Lady Dynamics are a cheer squad, and the Ice Girls exist for only two reasons, and none of those reasons involve cheering -- the reasons are looking pretty in skimpy outfits and taking care of the ice.

Between periods, we were introduced to the Aeros new VP. And when he asked if there was anything we needed, I went with Ice Girls. Surprisingly, he agreed since, he said, Ice Girls are big in the south -- though note that the Blackhawks, Islanders and Blue Jackets, not exactly southern teams, have Ice Girls.

But I think for this to actually become a reality, the fans are going to have ask for Ice Girls. So how about it? Should the Aeros actually get Ice Girls for next season? Heather wants them for working on the ice. I want them because I like pretty women in skimpy clothing. But it's not enough that the press agrees on this matter. What do you, the fans think?

4 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Oh man, the feminists are gonna come burn my house down.

Though it occurs to me that a) it's going to be difficult to find 4 women in Houston who look like Barbie dolls AND know how to skate well enough not only skate but also shovel snow, wield a big shovel or bucket of snow, etc. and b) the Rangers have Ice Guys. Now they're not scantily clad (dammit) but they're efficient and unobtrusive and there are plenty of guys, like high school or rec league guys who are proficient on their skates and would do it for a few rolls of tape and free hockey.

So... while I'm not going back on what I said... I really just want the ice cleaned up because God knows this team has enough trouble penetrating the offensive zone. They sure don't need piles of snow hindering them. But I'm just saying, it's probably not the most realistic idea ever. Unless they teach some of the AeroDynamics to skate.

Anonymous said...

Why not a combo of girls and boys-students, young icehockey players come to mind, scantily clad or not so... spangles or not. Vide the Canadian Skaters trying to emphasize the hard physical aspect of figure skating rather than the 'pretty costume look'-well just some musings and hope for something(s) to perk up the Aeros.

Snikpip said...

For FREE hockey I'd consider an operation and skating lessons. ;)

Dave said...

Ice girls sound good to me. So long as it is an addition to, and not the replacement of, the Lady Dynamics.