Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ah crap... it's too soon... I'm not ready.

I was just looking through some T3I posts and ran across this photo, and it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks that the season could be over by the end of the week.

The boys will all pack their shit up and go north for the summer. A fresh set of guys, and a few familiar faces, will return next year, but it's never really the same again. Maybe it's better, maybe it's worse.

I love the playoffs but I hate this time of year, where I have to, once again, come to accept that bodies need to rest and minds need to recharge, and we all (myself included) need a break from the intensity of a long hockey season.

I'll get there eventually but it does take me a while. Especially knowing Wednesday could be the last time we see this particular team on the ice together. Crummy. Get it to Round 2, boys. I'm not ready for the end.

12 comments:

beware the bears said...

One or maybe 2 games in Peoria, Take AA to Chicago and bus to Peoria or SW does fly to St. Louis, and then a BUS, just to soften the departure blahs.
And for the summer: replay some Hockey DVDs...or head for the hills or the high desert, opera, theater and music festivals. "Rockies" here and Canada (MAY RUN INTO SOME OF THE BOYZ?) also offer adventure sports-kayaking, rafting the wild waters, rock climbing, hot air ballooning, horseback riding, polo game watching....glacier skiing where available, scuba and deep sea diving.. all those offer thrills and 'thrilling' views...in more than one ways :)...you get the idea...suggestions..

Ms. Conduct said...

Ah, I know. It's not so much finding something else to do (there's all the stuff I've been neglecting during the season, for instance). It's more of a mourning of a really lovely thing ending

Snikpip said...

Remember the garage sale during the Oil Kings Memorial Day tourny. One last chance to grab some Aeros memories and make your money just a memory in the process. I've lost quite a few dead presidents in that lockerroom over the past few years.

Jen said...

Somebody needs to start a support group for AHL hockey fans during the offseason. ~~sigh~~ It really isn't the same without the next game to look forward to and you never know who is coming back next season.

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

We are going to provide of lot of good information on this site over the summer.

If the Aeros season ends Saturday or Monday, we'll have more work to do, but it will be fun.

Stay tuned.

Ms. Conduct said...

Indeed, Andrew speaks the truth. I honestly stayed busy most of last summer looking at prospects, potential new line-ups, the draft, free agency, signings, etc. It's a good time to write about things we don't have time for in the season. I've got an ode to minor league hockey percolating... :)

Kinda how this was an ode to savoring/mourning the final moments of a season. Or maybe it was just whining.

Though I have to laugh that I pour my little heart out and *that's* the post that I finally make someone cranky with. What does it say about me that that actually cheered me up? (Don't answer that.)

Fred Trask said...

Forecheck probably stumbled on your post ... oh wait, there are 2 cranky pants.

John Royal said...

I'm cranky because tomorrow's not their last game in Houston for this season. I predicted that they win in 6 after all, damn it.

Ms. Conduct said...

Well, obviously I hope you're right, John. :)

Josh Lister said...

I have been praying long and hard for a round 2 rematch with Millwaukee. Because I have that much more faith in KC than I did Daum.

beware the bears said...

Cheer up, another year of hot & heavy hockey is on the horizon ;) and we do have those fab pix Fred took throughout the year to gloat and salivate, maybe keeping most of us busy till fall. Perhaps at 'get togethers' of THE SUPPORT GROUP of Jen's?
And so, on to the next season with its excitement, happy faces, sighings, sightings ;) and all that jazz, AGAIN.

TxHockeyMom said...

I know just how you feel Ms. Conduct! I'm never ready to see it end. It always hard to see the boys go, never knowing if you'll see them again in Houston or not.

I think it helps if you just bitch, moan, and mourn a little.

It helps a whole heck of lot more if there's a big honkin trophy in town!!!!