Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

View From The Press Box -- Aeros Take Down Hamilton







Wow. Just wow. Right? What else is there to say, but Wow.

The Aeros did it. They defeated Hamilton 4-3 in a tough game that saw both teams playing some of their best hockey of the series. They were both playing desperate, neither wanting to go home, and in the end, it was the Aeros who were most desperate as Jon DiSalvatore fought like a mad man to shove a puck past Drew MacIntyre with 1:13 left in the game.

I'll try to post some quotes later. And Andrew said he would try to throw some stuff up, and I encourage you to read our bits in the Chronicle and the Press and Pro Hockey News.

But I just wanted to get some stuff up so you'll have a place to leave comments. And I thought you would want to see some photos. But I didn't think you'd care about action photos, I thought you would be interested in these photos from the game ending, and the handshake, and the players coming out to salute the 6,000-plus who made the Toyota Center a really loud place, and finally, this photo of JM Daoust and Matt Hackett, skating off the ice.

The Aeros now play Binghamton and former Aeros Barry Brust and Corey Locke for the Calder Cup, and the action starts this weekend in Houston. Game one is Friday and game two is Saturday. Game three is in Binghamton next Wednesday, as are games four and five, which will be played on Friday, June 3 and Saturday, June 4. If they're needed, games six and seven will be in Houston on Tuesday, June 7 and Thursday, June 9.

And once again, wow. Just wow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so much fun!! Although the middle of the game was stressful, the ending was pure jubilation. There appeared to be some controversy about the DiSalvatore goal? Any idea what it was about? This was most definitely a great night for the Aeros and their fans.

B2Bomber said...

I've not seen that much energy from the crowd for a looonnnnggg time. It was a gas just being in the crowd. Everyone around me was positive.

I thought the first two quick goals by our guys might be a signal of a game that would yield a lopsided victory for the boys but I give Hamilton credit for keeping in the game.

I did not see DiSalvatore's goal. The guy sitting in front of me would stand up every time one of our guys even got close to the net. I'm trusting the right call was made but McIntyre was sure pissed. Looked like he and other 'Dogs were looking for an interference or frozen puck call.

We also got a favorable clock on the last scrum of the game. I credit the crowd for the time keeper not being able to hear the ref's whistle. One second was placed back on the clock but I think that it should have gone back to at least five seconds left.

This was a great game and thriller of a series. I hope not to repeat the suspense in the next series though.

Reeseman said...

Read the story by Scott Radley in the Hamilton Spectator. "[...] MacIntyre appeared to have it covered and seemed to be pushed back into his net." Tough way to lose, if it had been the other way around I'm sure we'd be griping too. On to the finals!