Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Friday, May 27, 2011

My Fearless Prediction

Even on the road and away from the team, I can see that I'm the only one around here willing to go on the record with a Calder Cup final prediction. And since all I know about the Senators consists of their barely making the playoffs, and of Corey Locke and Barry Brust being on the team, I'm going to go with the one thing I do know, and that's the Aeros.

So the Aeros win it all. But since it's the Aeros, there will be a lot of heartbreak and grinding of teeth. And since they don't do simple, I say they win in seven. And since I'm out of town for the next several games, I'll see all of you for game 4 from Binghamton.

4 comments:

Forecheck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Royal said...

@FC. Do you not see a post? I can see it on my iPhone.

alw02 said...

Aeros in 7. Bingo's offense scares me with our goalie and defense breakdowns.

Forecheck said...

It shows up now.

I dug up some data last night which I hope I can reproduce here. I focused solely on the playoffs, since that is all that matters now.

I didn't find everything I wanted, but this is what I could dig up in short amount of time.



Head Coach Aeros : Mike Yeo
B-Sens: Kurt Kleinendorst

Advantage : Aeros (though Kleinendorst is good enough to be rumored as considered for the Sens job next season).

Aeros B-Sens Advant

Playoff Record 12-6 12-5 Even

2nd/3rd Round
opponents' record 12-7 12-6 Even
prior to 2nd
/3rd round

Goals/game 2.94 3.94 B-Sens

GA/game 2.83 2.88 Even

SH/G 33 35 Even

SHA/G 27 36 Aeros

Shoot% 8.9 11.2 B-Sens

Save % 89.6 92.0 B-Sens

PPG/game 0.94 1.06 Even

PK % 81.4 81.5 Even

SHG 0 5 B-Sens

SHGA 4 1 B-Sens

PIM/game 10.6 8.3 B-Sens

Starting Goalie
Yrs Pro 1 2 Even
(neither have prior playoff exp.)


What this seems to imply is it is the B-Sens offense vs. our average at best PK and low save percentage, offset by fewer SOG allowed by the Aeros. Also factor in the B-Sens proclivity at scoring shorties and our tendency to give the freakin' things up.

Also need to factor in the general "West is stronger than the East" arguement.

I have to go against my heart and say B-Sens in Seven. If not for the West being thought stronger, I would have to say six.

Of course my track record is not good:

Aeros over Rivermen in six
Admirals over Aeros in seven
Aeros over Bulldogs in seven (hey got one right!)

Aeros win games 1,4,& 6

GO AEROS! Prove me wrong again!