Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Prediction Time

Just a brief programming note...If Blogger should once again screw up and go down, our friends at Hockey Wilderness have graciously offered to let us post Aeros items there. So, if it looks like we haven't done anything in too long awhile -- say there's nothing here by Saturday morning on tonight's game, click on the link and check out Hockey Wilderness. Hopefully Blogger's got it's act together, but who knows.

Okay, it's time for me to go on the record. And I'm picking the Aeros in seven. Andrew and Heather have laid out a pretty good analysis in their respective posts here and elsewhere, so I won't go into that. Let's just say I think the Aeros can pull it out in what will be a very, very tough series.

As for the other side, I know that Charlotte is that feel-good story and all that, but I hate being told I'm supposed to cheer for a team because they're a feel-good story. Instead, I want Binghamton to win, and I want it for solely my own, selfish wishes. Playing the Senators will give me the chance to see some former Aeros play. It'll give me a chance to watch how Heather reacts to Brusty playing for the bad guys. And finally, Binghamton is only about an hour-and-a-half drive from Cooperstown, the home of the Baseball Hall of Fame, and I have always wanted to go to the Baseball HOF, so this would be a great chance.

For those reasons, I'm picking the Aeros and Senators to match-up for the Calder Cup.

P.S.: I will not be making a trip to Hamilton for this series as I just can't justify the costs. Flights to Toronto are going for about $950. It's about $550 to Buffalo the last time I checked, and then I have to deal with layovers in various airports, and I don't want that. Detroit's cost is just under $500, but there's a four hour drive. Cleveland's a closer drive, but the cost is more expensive. And I can fly to Chicago for about $225, but then there's an 8.5 hour drive that I just do not want to take.

Maybe Heather or Andrew will find a way to make it their for one of the games. But since the Press doesn't reimburse me for these little ventures, I'm not doing it this time. I will however, make at least one of the Calder Cup games because prices to New York City are usually semi-reasonable and because I'm not missing a chance to make a side trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

As for the rest of us on predictions, Andrew says Aeros in seven and Heather says Aeros in six.

4 comments:

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

This post was updated with links to Andrew's and Heather's predictions. See above, last graph.

John Royal said...

Damn it, Andrew. I wanted mine to be the definitive one while they had to hunt around the internet for yours.

See everybody tonight at the Toy Box.

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

I know you did, and I am just trying to add to your week of travel hell. Shot, rebound, shot .... score.

Forecheck said...

I'll also take the Aeros in seven, though this series will be every bit as tight as the one against the Ads. It's 51/49 at this point.