Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Derek Boogaard photo gallery on chron.com

One of my employers, the Houston Chronicle, has put together a really nice picture gallery/tribute to the late and great Derek Boogaard.

Here is a link ... Be sure to check it out and drop a few lines in the comment section talking about your favorite Boogeyman memory.

http://www.chron.com/sports/photogallery/Derek_Boogaard.html

While I have a minute, I will leave mine.
I think it was the fall of his first year in Houston, maybe his second year, and the Booster Club invited him to speak at one of their meetings and a BBQ place off 59 in Houston.

Ken Double was supposed to emcee, but had to cancel and I got the call. Needless to say, I put something together real quick and when I introduced him to the fans, I started reading all of this negative garbage scouts had written about him that I found on the Internet.

So I turned to ask him what he thought about all of that as he made a successful move from the ECHL to the AHL, and he quickly turned it on me.

"What do you think about all that, you're a hockey reporter ... " he said.

*gulp*

I still have no idea what I said, but I remember what I was thinking. Back then, I really did not think he would make the transition to a real NHLer. Boy was I wrong. Boy was I EVER wrong.

R.I.P. Boogeyman.
Thanks for all the memories; they are all great, and I wish your lovely family much peace and all the love in the world.

2 comments:

artandhockey said...

Ditto the sentiments and thanks for posting !

Anonymous said...

Still have the Boogaard "bobble head" (bobble fists) when he was on the aeros. Great memories of him playing in Houston...