Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It's official - More to "Love" in Peoria

As we first reported nearly two weeks ago, Mitch Love (pictured as No. 6 left), who led the AHL in fighting majors last year (34), has agreed to terms with the Peoria Rivermen. This story by the Journal-Star's Dave Eminian (speaking of which, we need to add his blog "Cleve's World" to our list.

(And Eminian really did his research here ... "Love’s 34 fights were the most by any player in any professional hockey league in 2008-09 (not counting a semi-pro men’s league in Quebec), including North America, Russia and other European leagues.")

No matter who the Aeros sign (or if Kassian decides to fight more this year) to take on the official role of enforcer, there is only one thing he will be able to do to be more entertaining than Love was when he was at his best ... And that is score a couple of goals on a night where he dusts off some other AHL scum in front of a rockin' crowd at Toyota Center.

Love, while not quite as dominating as the infamous Derek Boogaard was in bomber gear, certainly held more than his own and he and his lovely girlfriend will be missed in Houston.

I cannot wait to get the AHL schedule. Who do you think the crowd will cheer for when he drops the gloves in Houston this season?

13 comments:

buddhafisch said...

Somewhere, Ms. C. is sobbing mightily. Sorry, H. The management has not been kind down there...

Jen said...

I don't know about the cheering when he fights but I will definitely be humming "who do you love?" in my head whenever he takes the ice.

I wish him the best in Peoria and hope he gets the chance to move up.

Ms. Conduct said...

Nah Buddha. I dunno what it is but I didn't expect ANY of our free agents to be re-signed. I know there's a lot of heartache among fans to see all these guys leaving, but I knew last year when they were signed that none of them would be back. That's just how this and many AHL organizations work. Enjoy 'em while you've got 'em. The only FA they've re-signed in the last couple of years was Brusty. (And God bless you for that, Tom Lynn... seriously. I totally owe you a steak dinner for that one.)

Of course, part of that is that Constantine gets such good results out of guys that they do tend to leave Houston with a higher market value than when they came, and I think that's the great thing!

I am most disappointed to lose Mitch of all the guys leaving, but hopefully he's being well compensated for the very difficult role he plays and hopefully the remaining guys know his weak spots. :) Sorry, man, no mercy for the enemy.

AeroFinn said...

34+2 (incl POs)

I wonder whether he used this as dropyourgloves includes European leagues too:
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightCard.aspx?Season=2009&League=3&Player=8137

Btw don't check the link if you do not want to see Love in action.

It would be impossible to get 34 fighting majors a season in Europe as in most leagues you get an automatic one game ban for fighting (often more on top of that) and the seasons only last about 50 games...

AeroFinn said...

btw ties with Jay Rosehill N.Admirals/Marlies at 34 majors +2 more in the playoffs for both.

Maybe Love is not so special after all :-)

...

artandhockey said...

Maybe... but the most of the fans sure did think so.
Re KC.. Ms. C is completely on the mark... he does 'create' players out of raw material....

AeroFinn said...

Sure I have seen that the crowds here like their fights/fighters...
That was just an intentional "agitation" attempt there on my part.

Ms. Conduct said...

I'm starting to get your sense of humor AF. :) I caught that one.

I think Mitch will be missed in the room as well as on the ice. I'm sure Kassian will miss him, taking some of that fighting load off. Doesn't look like the Aeros are going to be sporting an excess of grit this season.

CatTrick said...

I don't think Houston will be sporting an excess of scoring this season either ... sigh ...

I've gotta say ... I'll probably still be inclined to let loose a few good screams for Mitch ...

Anonymous said...

This comment has nothing to do with LOVE, but it does with Peoria. Can anyone please tell me what in the world happened to Matt Foy? I have tried everything I can to google anything about him and I get nothing, and last I knew what he was with Peoria and had that fight with John Scott and that was it. Can anyone help me? I really thought he was a really good player.

John Royal said...

Anon: Foy was injured for most of last season. He had only been back for a couple of games when he got into the fight with John Scott, then he was suspended. I believe he got hurt again.

Maybe Andrew and Heather can provide a more precise answer, but I believe he was either released or quit before the season ended.

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

John is right about Foy...I think he only played four games before getting hurt...and then he requested his release, got it and then left...that is something I can definitely check tomorrow. Wait, he got suspended after that game against the Aeros after coming back and then was released...

Honestly, I have not seen if he has signed anywhere this summer.

artandhockey said...

Short season, huh? More time to have fun, and one wonders about the migration of players eastward across the 'pond' ;-)..