Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Board of Governor's Meetings Conclude

No surprises here really, save for the new shootout rule.
Personally, I was hoping the AHL would adopt the NHL policy of a best of three shootout.

Instead they choose to let guys like Paul Albers get a crack before letting Benoit fire multiple breakaway shots into the crest of the opposing goalie during the extra round.

From the AHL release:

• The format for the 2010 Calder Cup Playoffs has been approved. The playoffs will feature the top four teams in each of the AHL’s four divisions, with one possible exception: if the fifth-place team in the Atlantic Division finishes with more points than the fourth-place team in the East Division, it would cross over and compete in the East Division playoffs. The 2010 Calder Cup Playoffs will again feature a divisional playoff format, leading to conference finals and ultimately the Calder Cup Finals. All rounds will comprise best-of-seven series.

• A change has been made to the shootout procedures so that no player may shoot twice until all eligible players have gone once. Previously, only five shooters per team were selected to participate in the entire shootout.

• One-minute minor penalties during overtime, instituted at the request of NHL general managers in 2008-09, have been eliminated. Penalties in overtime will be served in full.

12 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Thanks Andrew.

I like the shootout rule change, for entertainment value, anyway.

Kass, here's your chance, man. :)

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

Kassian would make it entertaining, that is for sure.

Reminds me of the time I went to Rosemont back in 1998 (as a fan) and the Aeros game against the Wolves went to a shootout.

Tippett decided to send Blake Sloan (0-for-a gazillion) in shooutouts out to tie the extra frame ... and me, after eight beers,stands up and says "OH for the love of GAWD, this game is now officially Over! Sloaner? What, Tip, Really?"

After Sloan put the puck no where near the net, a nice young lady in front of me says hi and asks if I am from Houston.

I kind of nodded and she says, "Well, then great, here is someone I'd like you to meet ... Aeros fan? This is Mrs. Sloan."

Yeah, it was Blake's mom and the nice young lady was his sister or cousin or something.

Even before Southwest had the commercials, it was truly a "Wanna get away?" moment for me.

Fred Trask said...

best comment ever Andrew ... I feel your pain.

Ms. Conduct said...

That's just straight up awesome, Andrew.

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

And the story is 100% true.
I was there with my brother, Todd, and Catherine, who was an intern with me at the Aeros the year before.

It was Sunday, Dec. 13, 2009 and the Aeros lost the game 4-3 in the SO. I think the Aeros tied it on a late third period goal from none other than Eric Boulton, who scored his first IHL goal that day.

Crazy shit the stuff I remember.

Ms. Conduct said...

2009 you say?

Chris Jerina said...

Glad to see the full penalties back for OT. I remember a Wolves game back in 07/08 which had coincidental minors at the start of OT.

Those 1:54 minutes of 3 on 3 was the most exciting fast-paced hockey Ive seen in a while. I remember the winning goal scored just as the penalties were expiring but couldnt tell you who won.

Forecheck said...

I think before re-using any skaters, each teams goalies should have to shoot...

Fred Trask said...

My money is on Barry Brust!

Ms. Conduct said...

I don't need to say anything to that, right Fred? :)

Fred Trask said...

Nope you don't need to say anything your money's been on Barry all along.

Josh said...

IRMEN gets a chance to make a mends for past shootout sins