Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cool off and help a great cause

Friendly reminder to head up to the Aerodrome in Willowbrook (north of 1960 on Hwy 249) and check out the STARSkaters fundraiser going on beginning at 3:40 p.m. Saturday, Aug 1.

For a mere $10 (including skate rental), you can skate, hang out in supremely air-conditioned comfort, maybe win some really awesome raffle prizes (no joke, there's some really cool stuff), and learn about all the amazing work STARSkaters does to get people out on the ice who might not otherwise get to experience that joy.

And it is, in fact, a very joyful thing to ice skate. So if you've always wanted to try, they're even doing lessons as part of your entrance fee. What better time to learn? Like I told myself I when I started learning to skate, "Hey, you aren't getting any younger." ;)

You can even try out skating on one of the sleds. Fun fact I learned from one of my favorite hockey writers, Justin Bourne, whose brother Jeff is a sled player, that the goalies have SPIKES (okay, he called 'em picks, but I'm calling them SPIKES) on their glove and blocker to help them move. Fierce!

There's a sled exhibition game at 5:50 after they cut the ice (so, a little off-season zamboni action!), which will be fun to watch and I know the players will appreciate having a crowd cheering them, so don't leave when you're done skating!

What's not to love? Cool off, do something cheap and good for the skating and hockey community in Houston, maybe win some stuff, definitely learn some things, and watch some hockey!

Oh, and Chilly will be there, too, if you like that sort of thing.

Here's the Facebook page for the event and here's a PDF with ALL the details.

10 comments:

artandhockey said...

Do they have skating for dummies? or not too flexible seniors? LOL. And I will chipsin..THE word for this.

John Royal said...

artandhockey, I for one thank you. I love the verification words. And it's funny how they can always seem to fit the subject.

artandhockey said...

Aiming to please...am collecting them.
Oh boy, this one is a hoot....would be suitable for bare Heidi Klum posts ;)

John Royal said...

artandhockey, please don't go giving me an excuse to post Heidi Klum photos over here, because I really don't need much of an excuse.

artandhockey said...

Well, maybe this will distract you :)
JUST in: also on my blog.
Unanimous approval by NHL of Reinsdorfs bid for The Yotes. "Scones" News may be yum yum for Coyote fans, eh?

John Royal said...

What the NHL does or says no longer matters. It's up to the Judge and what the creditors want.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
artandhockey said...

oops, someone was a BAAAD boy? Sorry you have to put up with such miscreants.

AeroFinn said...

hey lets not get assumptive here!
I think that comment warrants at least 2+2mins in the sin bin! I mean it could have been a BAAAD girl too! As a "boy" I'm very hurt by this comment...


(add smilies to all the right places)

artandhockey said...

oops...BAAD Girl! sorreee AeroFinn etal.. :( just a phrase....