Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Trying To Understand The Clear Day Roster, And Failing

One of the reasons we set up this site is to try and offer some insight and analysis into the things the Aeros do. Like yesterday's Clear Day Roster and the signing of forward Tony Hrkac. But I'm not really sure how much insight I can give because despite pondering this all day, I'm at a loss for some of the things that happened.

I'll go with the easy thing first. Leaving Bryan Lundbohm off of the Clear Day Roster makes sense. I'm sure the thinking was, when he was signed for this season, that he would provide a steadying, veteran influence who wouldn't do anything special on the ice, but wouldn't make a lot of errors. And his play has been pretty unspectacular when he's played, which hasn't been often because he's been hurt for lots of the season. In short, if you can only have a certain number of players on the roster, then there are 22 others who have played for the team this season that would be better choices.

That said, I don't see what Tony Hrkac can add to this team. The Wild thinks that he adds some kind of presence to this team that will help them in the playoffs. But I'm just not really sure of what a 42-year old who hasn't played hockey since 2005 can add to a team. This is just one move I don't understand.

The other move I don't understand is the leaving of Jason Ryznar off of the Clear Day Roster. Ryznar doesn't provide much of an offensive presence --he's got only four points in 63 games. But there's just something I like about the line of Ryznar, Mitch Love and Matt Kassian. Neither of these guys provides offense. But they constantly hustle. They hit, and they hit hard and they hit big. They don't make mistakes. They're a perfect checking, energy line. And according to Kevin Constantine, they were his most consistent line and the one line that the coaches trusted more than any other line they put out on the ice. And until his illness on Tuesday, Ryznar had played in every game this season. So I don't get his being left off of the roster.

I'm not a hockey expert. I don't know the game like Constantine or Tom Lynn or any of the players. So maybe there's someway to explain these moves. But I just don't see how adding an old man who hasn't played in over three years and benching a young kid makes the team better. True, I was told that Ryznar was ill on Tuesday. But maybe he was injured, as well.

I'm just confused.

And I'm sorry I couldn't offer more analysis and insight to you guys.

File photo of Jason Ryznar courtesy of Fred Trask.

No comments: