We were not able to record a video tonight, so I will just throw out a few thoughts here while I can.
First, for anyone that has been following hockey for the last few years knows that shootouts can be tough. They are even tougher when you're down 2-0 after two rounds.
But the Aeros made light of that, and scored three straight in the extra session to take the win. Just an incredible win for several reasons. Team gutted out a tough Hamilton team, a really bad second period and two one-goal, third period deficits.
Secondly, Wade Dubielewicz had an up and down night for sure. He was brilliant for a stretch in the second period when the Aeros were shorthanded time and time and time again, but he let in a couple of goals that looked bad from the press box. I am no goalie, and I did not get a chance to talk to him after the game, but I think for sure he could have had the first and third scores by the Bulldogs.
The Aeros are two games over .500 for the first time this year, and appear to be getting better in all facets of the game. Kind of a bad time to lose your No. 1 goalie, but they should be OK if Dubielewicz rebounds.
I talked to Jon DiSalvatore after the game, and he made an interesting comment when asked about the team's recent fortune. He said he and a couple of guys will talk to the rest of the team about how they can get better. I am only assuming that he was referring to the second period. That has been their "character" at home this year. Play good to start, taper off badly in the second, and then try to get back in it.
DiSalvatore said there is so much more this team can do, and after what I have seen so far, I believe him. Had the Aeros been playing pretty much anyone but Hamilton and pumped in at least one more in the first, they probably would have won in regulation.
Well that is all for tonight ... John will likely post something later.
10 games in the books and the Aeros are 6-4. That equates to what, 48 and 32 ... To me that sounds like a Kevin Constantine team. That sounds like second or third place and another trip to the playoffs. But waaaaiiiitttteee a minute. Cart is currently way before the horse.
There are many ups and downs to be had, some good, and some in the not so in the positive and life-affirming kind of way. And as one former Aero used to say, it's not really a sprint or a marathon; it's a hockey season, right?
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment