Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Aeros featured on SportsRadio 610 Thursday

I've always found it a little uncomfortable watching the local media (apart from those of us who cover the team) interview Aeros players. It's usually on the verge of "the black disc is called a puck, right?" and "Wow, hockey sure is violent!"

So, 5 hours of focus on hockey in the morning (6-11 a.m.) on SportsRadio 610 (which is the sports station I listened to before I got XM Radio, and I've never heard a peep about hockey from them) should be pretty interesting. I'll certainly be up early to tune in and see how it goes.

Either way, it's pretty great publicity for the team. Usually the guys will get about 3 minutes on some morning show or a guest spot on some shady cable access show, so color me impressed.

Now I need to find a way to get in with the 610 guys as their official Hockey Girl.

Two days to home puck drop, folks... Not that I'm counting.

27 comments:

BReynolds said...

Send them an email. Figure out who covers the games for them. Maybe (likely?) it is no one.

Ms. Conduct said...

Oh, it's definitely no one. We'll see. Like I need another friggin' iron in the fire... but still... that station does seem to love chicks who know sports.

John Royal said...

Well, John Lopez interviewed Constantine last year as part of the 790 afternoon show. And he made a fool of himself when he was asking Constantine about how unusual it was to be starting Schaefer since Brust was the number one guy, and KC had to tell him that it was actually the other way around.

The reasons they don't talk hockey is that they don't hockey. Actually, I would be suprised if Lopez actually knew anything about any sport. And I would be shocked if Vandermeer can talk about anything but football.

This will be ugly. Unfortunately, I won't be able to listen as I can't get a signal where I'm working.

Fred Trask said...

If it is not blocked you can listen online.

John Royal said...

No, I can't listen online. I'm on a temp job. They frown on that.

artandhockey said...

well, at 8 30 all I hear is about baseball,football and kids getting scholarships for football. etc. because they can jump and run.

Ms. Conduct said...

Yeah, Jamie Spencer was on around 7:30. Did a good job, though I'd love to know what kind of death stare from Jamie caused the host to backpedal when he said something along the lines of how hockey's really about the fights. LOL Good for Jamie for not letting that go. The guy was like, "Haha, just kidding, of course" immediately.

artandhockey said...

Keep listening THEY promised in about an hour there will be something on hockey, they do promote the game tomorrow. Alas, will have to shut it off and do things.

Fred Trask said...

He mentioned Clutterbuck, and Koivu and Scott but how on Earth could he leave out Boogaard and Harding?

No Pouliot, Burns, or PMB either. Burns and PMB maybe because it was the lockout year but they played here.

I thought it was pretty bad for them to put him on the spot about DirecTV and Versus too. He handled it well even though it is obviously out of his scope.

Anonymous said...

Been listening... very little about the Aeros so far. Hopefully they will talk more about the Aeros at some point.
And please ban any news anchor from the Toyota Center from dropping the puck that does not actually follow the Aeros or hockey !!

Fred Trask said...

And now they are going off with "Why are they called the Texas Stars" I'm glad someone clued them in that they are the affiliate of the Dallas Stars.

FinnAir said...

That "Texas Stars why are they called Stars!!!? Are they the affiliate of Dallas Stars?... OK makes sense" was pretty good. Too much football, high school (?) sports etc for my taste. Btw I think you can listen to this from the archives afterwards from their website if somebody really wants.

Fred Trask said...

Actually they were ripping the "Texas Stars" as being a stupid name for a team. They were saying last time I checked there was a hockey team called the Stars isn't there? (It didn't sound like they were even sure of that) Then it dawned on them that perhaps they were affiliated with Dallas. So they started in that calling them the same name is still stupid. Saying "We don't have the Round Rock Astros do we?" etc.

I hope they are learning a little about hockey, the AHL and the Aeros today.

CatTrick said...

Right now they're complaining about the Texas Stars being named the Stars when another Texas hockey team is already named the Stars ... "Ignorance is Bliss"?

Maybe not, but "Revenge is Sweet" ... my office radio will be on SportsRadio 610 all morning and the woman I share my office with will have to PAY for all the times I've had to listen to her complaining, personal phone calls, etc. I love it ... heeheehee!!!

They've been talking North Texas/ Oklahoma State football for a while now. Tell me again, HOW does this relate to hockey?

Ms. Conduct said...

Eh, I'm okay with them giving a little shit to a future rival.

Somehow he knew that an Aerodynamic got hurt. I guess that's more important... LOL Weird.

Oh, I can't wait to hear this hockey quiz.

I'll put the questions here:

1. How many periods in a hockey game?
2. What is a power play?
3. What is a hat trick?
4. What is standing on your head?

Props for putting a Goalie Glory question in there. :)

artandhockey said...

at least they seem to Like the AERODYNAMICS name. Now they are into swine flu.. any hockey players are claiming that?

FinnAir said...

I missed a bit of that Swine Flu conversation... The traditional handshake at the end of the match is banned in FNL due to swine flu. Which was btw "forgotten" when the Panthers came over so I guess they're not doing that yet over here?
I think all teams in AHL should be called after their parent club and wear a similar jersey. Adirondack Red Wings, Sherbrooke Canadiens were great. Houston Wild would fit. And why did they not name it Dallas South Stars?
This is my all time favourite hockey logo:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/logos.php?s=1982&t=115&sf=

(Nashville South Stars)

Cat Trick said...

How about their comment that sports fans don't follow "regular" news; i.e., we're all ignorant about swine flu because we only focus on sports news ...

Do we REALLY need to hear about how this guy tries to stay germ-free in public men's rooms? OMG, this is grossing me out. And i DON'T CARE!!!

Ms. Conduct said...

Welcome to morning sports talk radio.

artandhockey said...

Restroom "sports" who can do it...farther. Is that what sports is about. Why restroom discussion, because its colder at the Hockey games? DUH!!!! By golly, brainy talk, eh! (word is nutings).

CatTrick said...

I'll buy a beer for MIKE, who just called in and said this show was their worst ever. I don't normally listen, but this show SUCKS!

Anonymous said...

Where are Aeros fans? Callers call on anothing but... still VERY little on Hockey..

artandhockey said...

At least KC does his job explaining.
"Hockey is good as it's ever been"... great show!

Fred Trask said...

Great job by KC.

That was good. We could use more of that. :-)

Snikpip said...

Just noticed that the verification word (IF I wanted to post a comment, which I didn't) fits in perfectly with the comments. "CHITY"

artandhockey said...

Back to everything BUT hockey.. that IS the last time I'll listen to that show.

Anonymous said...

An unfortunate fact is that outside of about 3 thousand or so hard core fans, no one cares. When the Aeros have more than 3 thousand at a game it's because they sold a bunch of 1 time groups or papered the house. Houston is a city of about 5 million right? That means about 0.0006 percent of the city cares. Thats why the 610 guys suck at covering hockey. Thats why hockey callers weren't abundant and so forth. If the organization were better recognized, which is up to them to make happen, they would get better coverage.