Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

11/15: Aeros v. Chicago Wolves

Unfortunately this is one of those nights where we're already short staffed, Andrew has a ripping headache, and I've gotta head to my own hockey game.

Here's hoping I play half, or even a quarter, as well as Khudobin did tonight in the Aeros 2-1 loss to the Wolves. I know I often give a lot of credit to the defense, but tonight he was truly the difference. Yeah, he let a couple in but man, he stayed confident in spite of his team turning over the puck many times right at his doorstep. I can tell you, that's a difficult thing to not let into your head.

Luckily, he and Kalus had the freshest legs on the ice and at times, it showed. Unfortunately, everyone else was pretty tired, it appeared. And both teams were in the third day of a 3-in-3, so it was a tired game all around.

Chicago is just a darn good team right now. And the Aeros scoring touch has left them again. Don't worry. The Goalie Angel will pop in on Wednesday during naptime and try to work her magic again.

Props to Matt Kassian for just being a mfing badass. That fight was one of the toughest ones I've seen in a long time. Both guys just throwing bomb after bomb. I have mad respect for guys who can wake up in the morning and think, "Alright, I'm probably gonna have to get punched in the face repeatedly today." I'd never get out of bed.

I'd say the boys are safely off the schnide with regard to the power play, but now the penalty kill is getting dinged. Hopefully that's just a factor of 3 in 3 fatigue. This is the first one of the season, so maybe it takes one to know one, if you know what I mean.

It would also help if the officiating wasn't so... let's call it "bizarre." Lots of Wolves calls missed and lots of strange Aeros calls. And half the time nobody seemed to really know what was going on, the penalties were so convoluted.

I apologize for no stick figure tonight and for the absence of John's fantastically detailed game reports. I just don't have the patience. Read the paper. :) But I really do have to get going to my game.

However, I won't miss this chance to play DJ. I don't think this game indicative of anything about this team other than, most of the time, they just can't get the puck in the net more than the other team. Constantine even said, he doesn't feel like consistency is the problem. They just can't score.

Maybe they just need a little bit of resolve.

1 comment:

Forecheck said...

Hope I didn't give Andrew the headache....get better guy! (Actually, I think I had the same headache yesterday afternoon - must be the approaching front.)

Anyway, we lost not because of Anton but because our offense sucks. Most of our guys couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a pass - even if they were inside the barn. If the do get a pass to someone actually in scoring position it's in their skates or on their backhand.

Our guys can't pass because the brass in Minnysohta can't recognize draftable offensive talent if it high sticked them in the face. If they do draft offensive talent, the player turns out to have anger management problems or throws a temper tantrum and runs back home to Russia when they don't get their way.

And for all but two seasons they've been too cheap to sign offensively talented free agents.

OK, have I vented enough yet? Or should I save some for Wednesday (shrugs shoulders)?
==================================
Word Verification "dilkibl". As in "I didn't like the Aeros' offensive effort tonight one dilkibl bit!"