Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

11/17/10 -- Aeros v. Chicago -- Howl At The Moon Edition

So it's about midway through the third period tonight, and I remember that there's a NFL game tomorrow night, which means that I have to get my lineup submitted for one of my fantasy leagues that demands the roster be submitted the night before the game. So I start grab my iPhone and I start working on that. Heather hits me in the arm and tells me I'm missing a good game.

Cut to post game, and we're down there waiting for Coach Yeo, and Heather is still going on about how she couldn't understand how I could work on my fantasy football lineup while I was missing a good game. And out comes Yeo and guess what he starts with: "It might have been our worst game of the year, to be honest with you. Right from the start you could tell. I think the energy level wasn’t where it needed to be."

Now if you didn't see the game, and you were going only by Yeo, you would think the Aeros got blown out. But then you think on Heather's comment and realize that, with 14 minutes left in the game, the Aeros were up 3-0, and the Wolves were doing their best impersonation of the Aeros from last season. The Aeros went on to get to the 3-2 win, and were never really challenged. So I tend to think both Heather and Yeo were exaggerating just a bit.

Truth was the Aeros didn't play that exceptional of a game, but it definitely didn't look like they were playing the worst game of the season. So, the hail of bullets:

1. There seems to be a pattern to the Aeros this season. They come out aggressively and take a lead, then they just start half-assing it and do everything they can to lose the game.

2. "I think we weren’t that bad to start, then we got the lead and then we started to get too cute," Yeo said.

3. Good game by Petr Kalus. He got the game's second goal, and it was his work on the boards digging for the puck that set-up the team's third and final goal. That's why he was the number one star.

4. In a change of pace, I was the one arguing for Matt Hackett to get one of the three stars. Normally Heather argues for the goalies, but she was falling all over herself praising Kalus and making sure he wasn't ignored.

5. Here's some more Yeo comments: "That was ugly [the game]," he said. "It was difficult to snap ourselves out of. To be honest with you, it was game that I was worried about yesterday. I tried to address it…We had an average practice yesterday, I felt, and kind of carried it in today. It’s okay – there’s going to be times when you’re energy level’s not there, it’s not 100-percent, but you have to upgrade in other departments, and I felt our execution within our system was not very good. It led to too many odd-man rushes. I thought our puck management was poor.'

6. Yeah, hard to believe the Aeros won the game.

7. I kept wondering why the breaks were so long, then I remembered the Aeros were playing Chicago, which meant that the game was on TV.

8. Can anybody remember when the Wolves were so bad?

9. Was I the only one who heard it announced in the arena that the starting center tonight was Colton McMillan?

10. Andrew had to head out to Chicago at the last minute, so Heather was handling his Chronicle story. And she basically had the thing written and just needed a celebratory quote from Yeo to wrap it up. You should have seen the expression on her face when Yeo started talking about this being the team's worst game of the season. I wonder if she's done with the re-write, yet?

To play us out, in honor of the Wolves, and in honor of their playing the exact opposite of this song's title, here's Duran Duran -- the band so nice they named it twice -- with "Hungry Like The Wolf."

6 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

No problem. Made my deadline just fine. Thank god for professional editors to rewrite my slop though.

But I was pretty shocked that Yeo was SO pissed about the game. He was great talking about it though and I understand his perspective.

I'm learning as I go here and I'd love to sit in on a film session or something sometime so I can learn more, but for me, I was watching the battles for the puck all night. The Aeros, as I tweeted, are just a freaking pain in the ass to play. Pesky pesky and hard to get traction against... er, except for those odd man rushes.

Though I didn't sense an inordinate number of those either, but then I've spent 3 of the last 4 days playing rec hockey where some nights it's rush after rush. Business as usual in the bush leagues.

Anyway, I'm sorry he boys will have to face the wrath of an angry coach, because I had a helluva time watching them, and honestly that's pretty unusual for when I'm writing for the Chronicle. Of course, spending the last 13 minutes going, "Please don't tie it. Please don't tie it." kept me busy.

Forecheck said...

1. There seems to be a pattern to the Aeros this season. They come out aggressively and take a lead, then they just start half-assing it and do everything they can to lose the game.

Finally noticed, huh?

2. "I think we weren’t that bad to start, then we got the lead and then we started to get too cute," Yeo said.

I would go with "uninspired" rather than "cute".

8. Can anybody remember when the Wolves were so bad?

As someone else mentioned, they are impostors in Wolve's clothing. Defense was really bad. Was that the second or third string goalie or was the ice just really bad behind the nets?

9. Was I the only one who heard it announced in the arena that the starting center tonight was Colton McMillan?

He also botched "Ciamaga" a bit. Somehow they didn't know that there were two refs working the game, either.

"Hungry Like The Wolf."

The Wolves were really hungry in the third, and it showed. And wouldn't you know Haydar would score on the Aeros. I think he has about three million goals against the Aeros in his carreer.

Also, what was with the kilts? Is that to make TSA pat-downs esier?

Anonymous said...

think you guys could update your links on the side of the blog to reflect 10-11 season and not 09-10 season? Thanks.

Ms. Conduct said...

Man. Picky picky. ;) Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

you're welcome:-)

artandhockey said...

@ Ms.Conduct
Good write up in Chronicle!
I wanted send congrats, but trying to log in - they simply want tooo much personal data about me.

So, A BIG Brava here for the well written article! And as the word saysin Italian "grazie"