Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Announcing My New Venture

Before I go further, I would like to thank Andrew, Fred, and Heather for letting me hi-jack this blog for a personal, non-hockey post.


For awhile now, I've been talking about a business venture I'm planning, as well as some of the pitfalls with which I've been dealing. But now it's time to make the official announcement.

I'm starting my own legal-based company, called Royal Document Review. The premise is simple. Most civil lawsuits have what's called the discovery phase where each side gets to look at evidence and documents possessed by the other side that are relevant to the lawsuit. This process can be long, and it can be expensive. Especially for smaller law firms or companies.

Big firms use their associates for this purpose, or they bring in attorneys from temporary attorney agencies who have only one purpose, to review those documents on the basis of a criteria set by the attorneys at the firm. The temp attorneys will make about $35-40 an hour, but the agency will charge from $70-90 an hour. Small firms or companies can't always justify this cost, but they don't always have the in-house staff to handle the document review side, or else they can't justify taking the time from their other clients to concentrate solely on this one case.

My business is for the purpose of helping these small firms and companies. I come in and do the document review -- that's what I've been doing for the last decade. I know how to read documents and find the useful information. I've done this by hand, and I've done it using the various electronic sources that are available for this process. I've gone on to location to un-air conditioned warehouses in the desert in the summer. I've done the unheated warehouse in winter bit. I've sat in an isolated office going through moldy boxes.

I like this job. Not everybody can do it. Not everybody has the temperament. Sure, the temp agencies will send along attorneys for this, but lots of time, these people see this job as a temp thing, and they don't care. It's just a paycheck. They get bored. They do just enough work to keep employed. They see this type of work as beneath them. I don't. I like this work.

I like the searching for clues. I've known of no better way to learn absolutely everything that needs to be known about a case. In many ways, document review is the equivalent of not seeing the forest because you're concentrating on an individual leaf. But I see it differently. I see the forest. I see the trees. I see the leaf. I see the roots.

And more important than my liking this job is this: I'm good at it. And more important than that, most important of all, is that I'm charging less for billable hour than the temp agencies. Substantially less. I've got no overhead. I'm not paying staff. I'm not paying for an office. It's just me and my laptop.

So there you have it. That's my new venture. All of the details can be found by clicking on the link. I know most of you reading don't care. And I apologize for that. But who knows, maybe some of you are interested, or know someone who might be. So I'm taking my free web access and making my pitch.

I just ask for wishes of good luck because I need them. My attorney friends think my idea is genius. As do other friends. But this is a tough economy. And there are lot of us suddenly unemployed attorneys out there, and we're all starting up firms or business ventures. So it's going to be tough. I realize that. But there's just something out there telling me to do this. So I am.

Thanks for reading.

And thanks again to Andrew, Fred, and Heather for letting me borrow the blog for a personal reason.

6 comments:

B2Bomber said...

Good luck to you John. I hope it all works out for you.

Fred Trask said...

What?

No video of FOTC with Business Time? I'm terribly disappointed. :)

I'm sure once the word gets out there you'll be turning down business. Best of luck John and way to go with the risk taking!

beware the bear(s) said...

All the best.

Anyone ask me I'll recommend you for sure.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Jen said...

I've just put you in our firm's contacts for document review. If we have any work I'll try to send it your way. Good luck in your new venture.

John Royal said...

Sorry, Fred. Sometimes I have to be a little serious ;-).

Thanks for the encouragment everybody, and thanks for putting me in your contacts list, Jen.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the very best in your new venture! I hope we will continue to see you here with Aeros coverage, and that you'll keep us posted on how the business is going.