UNDER CONTRACT (aka Your 2009-2010 Houston Aeros)
- Morten Madsen - One more year on his deal with the Wild before he's a RFA (restricted free agent, which means essentially that his current team--the Minnesota Wild--will have right of first refusal at the end of next season).
- Matt Kassian - One year on his deal before he's an RFA.
- Cody Almond - As he just signed a few weeks ago, he's got all three years of his entry level contract to play out. It's doubtful that he makes the big club, so expect to see him as an Aero.
- Carson McMillan - Like Almond, is just getting done with his Major Junior career and has his full entry level contract remaining. Again, expect him to be an Aero.
- Brian Kaufman - One year AHL deal with the Aeros.
- Colton Gillies - Some mention has been made that now that he's AHL-aged, they might start him in Houston this season to get him more playing time and more seasoning. I think it would be a great thing for him, if a bit of an ego hit... Anyway, he's got two years left on his entry deal.
- Petr Kalus - According to Mike Russo, Kalus is coming back this season, presumably in hopes of making a Minnesota team that promises a system more suited to his "offensive" style. He's got one year left on his contract with the Wild.
- Benoit Pouliot - Could stick with the big club out of camp but will have to earn it this time.
- Danny Irmen - Expect to see him in Houston when the season starts
- Robbie Earl - See above ... lightning speed.
- Jon DiSalvatore - Free agent, signed July 17
- Pete Zingoni - Free agent, signed July 17
- Duncan Milroy - Free agent, signed July 17
- Nathan Smith - Free agent, signed July 22
- Brandon Buck - AHL, Free agent, signed July 22
- JP Testwuide
- Justin Falk - Two years left on his contract, so we'll see him. I don't think he'll be ready to make the big club next season, so expect him to be a critical piece of the Aeros blue line next season.
- Max Noreau - Two years left on his contract and similar to Falker, I don't see him making the big club yet. He had an amazing year not just by Aeros standards, but league-wide he was one of the best offensive defensemen, but another year to build confidence and improve his defensive play in the minors is probably in the offing.
- Brandon Rogers - One year left on his contract before he's a UFA (unrestricted free agent). UFA contract years are a big thing for these guys as they're playing for their next contract, either with this team or, more likely, with other teams.
- Jamie Fraser - 2009 free agent signing
- Jamie Sifers - 2009 free agent signing
- Clayton Stoner
- Ryan Lannon - Free agent signed July 22
- Ryan Gunderson - AHL contract
- Wade Dubielewicz - Has a 2 way deal and if Harding gets traded without a goalie in return, he'll be #2 in Minnesota
- Barry Brust - Brusty has a year on his contract and then he's a UFA. As with Rogers, this is a big year for him to stay healthy and be consistent.
- Anton Khudobin - Dimples is in the final year of his entry level contract before he becomes an RFA.
Unrestricted Free Agents
These guys can go and do whatever the hell they want. Unless they have a particular affinity for Houston or this coaching staff and/or don't get any better offers, I would wave goodbye as they'll be looking to go where they think they have the best chance at earning an NHL spot.
Nolan Schaefer - Signed with CSKA in Russia
Thomas Mojzis - Has signed with a club in Europe
Corey Locke - Has signed with the NY Rangers organization
Krys Kolanos - Has signed with Philadelphia Flyers organization
Marco Rosa - Has signed with Manitoba Moose
Peter Olvecky - Signed with Nashville Preds organization
Mitch Love - Signed with Peoria Rivermen
Matt Beaudoin - Signed with Texas Stars