Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Thoughts On Relocation, Playoffs, And Trades

First things first, I've got a story up at the mothership dealing with the Aeros and relocation. Things are still up in the air -- negotiations are ongoing, but there's nothing solid -- and I throw in a few of the scenarios that have been making their way down to us. Sorry there's nothing definitive, but hopefully you'll give it a read, and hopefully you'll let the commenter there know that hockey's not a niche sport.

I also spoke with GM Jim Mill for a bit yesterday regarding relocation (see the story), the playoffs, the recent trades, and the team in general. 

Regarding the trade of Matt Hackett and Johan Larsson to Buffalo and Darcy Kuemper being called up to the Wild as the backup, Mill says it's all about winning hockey games.

" Unfortunately you have to make moves to get better," he said. "You have assets. You develop assets to win hockey games, and there’s lots of ways to win."

One of the Wild's ways of winning is improving the team, and they used what they had to get better by trading assets that other teams required: "At the end of the day, deals are done because certain players are wanted," Mill said.

The new goalie in town is Jeff Deslauriers who has spent a lot of time in the AHL (probably best remembered around here for his time with Oklahoma City). Mill called him a quality/professional goaltender. That said, the Aeros should probably try to score as many goals as possible because it's doubtful that any goalie will be able to constantly shut down teams the way Hackett and Kuemper were able to shut down teams.

As for making the playoffs, Mill said it's easy. The team just has to continue winning hockey games. 

"That’s why you play 76 games," he said. "They’ve been a top team through 76 games."
 
So let's see how things shake out tonight when the Aeros host the Wolves. As of now, the Aeros are in sixth place with 78 points. But they're just six points ahead of Abbotsford who are sitting in 11th place. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I responded on the Press article. Not sure why you tried to so hard to make the attendance look terrible. Yes, it was bad on Tuesday and Thursday but it is always bad on Tuesday and Thursday. Average attendance this year is the 2nd best it's been in the last 8 years.

OldFan said...

Me thinks there is a contingent who would like to see their predictions come true, thus focusing completely on everything negative and pooh-poohing any chance of an agreement. What happened to objective reporting? One could have focused on some positives...like our standing in the league attendance, the fact that the negotiations are still going on, etc. I believe last year's attendance was largely due to the exceptional front office management. This year that was missing.

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

So what you're saying is ... what exactly?

No one knows anything; we all have an opinion based on the information we have.

And I can assure you, no one on this side of the blog wants the Aeros to leave.

Personally, I think they will relocate after this season or next. But that is just an opinion based on timing and other circumstances.

I won't speak for John, but I know them being forced out of town would be a tremendous loss for sports fans in Houston.

John Royal said...

@OldFan: sorry you don't like what I've written, but I can't make up facts to suit your notions.

Attendance has nothing to do with whether the Aeros stay or go. What matters is whether the two sides can come to terms on a new lease. If Les Alexander has decided that he can make a profit off of Toyota Center without the Aeros around, the Aeros could pack the place every night and it wouldn't matter.

(For what it's worth, I'm tired of hearing the damn excuses about midweek attendance. Show up or don't show up, just don't whine when I mention that midweek attendance sucks.)

I sincerely hope that, despite everything I've heard, the parties reach an agreement and the Aeros stay in Houston. But I'm not going to brag about attendance when attendance has absolutely nothing to do with the matter of the lease being renewed.