Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Ray Edwards: “It's embarrassing to lose at home in front of 8,000 people."

There are two ways coaches tend to handle what happens when their team plays like the Rampage did against the Aeros Thursday night.

Ray Edwards took the literal approach. Tell it like it is. Here is a sample of his quotes after the game last night courtesy of the S.A. Express News:
“I'm not happy at all. I don't like not being in the playoffs; I don't like losing, and it's embarrassing right now. It's embarrassing to lose at home in front of 8,000 people. It's embarrassing the way we lost. There's a lot of guys in that room that should be embarrassed by the way we played tonight."

Wow.

In my time covering the Aeros over the years, I have dealt with Dave Tippet (as an intern), Dave Barr, Todd McLellan, Rob Daum and Kevin Constantine. They all have different personalities, and the only one of them that would tell it like it is "on the record) is Daum.

I don't have a problem either way, as I understand that most coaches like to chastise internally and talk in more general terms to reporters.

The Rampage were pretty lousy after the first period. I think when they were only able to get one shot by Anton in the first period, they got the attitude of "here we go again" and they were not willing to put in the work, especially against an Aeros team that has score one or fewer goals in 25 (25!!!!!) of their games this year.

Not to go too far off the path here, but if you told me at the beginning of the year that the Aeros would score one or fewer goals in more than 30 percent of their games, I would have told you you're crazy.

The Aeros how have two games left in their season, and I am REAL curious to see what Texas brings to the table Saturday. I am even MORE curious to see what San Antonio does in response to their game Thursday night.

1 comment:

Forecheck said...

We did hit the 200 goal mark this season, something that looked questionable much of the year.