Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

3/31/10 -- Aeros v. Wolves -- Everybody Hurts

After being absent recently because of other, somewhat more pressing mothership duties -- I was off covering the NCAA Regional Finals (aka the Sweet 16 and Elite 8) -- I returned to Toyota Center for last night's Aeros game versus the Chicago Wolves. And let's just say that I don't think I've missed too much as the Aeros lost 4-0.

I had three highlights.

Number one: I generally bitch about the audio guys and their music selections a lot. But last night, they had a genius moment. After the third Chicago goal -- one on which Wade Dubielewicz appeared to be screened by his entire team -- the sound guys busted out R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts." It was just serendipity. It was perfect. Kismet. Never has a song so matched the moment. And as Heather said, someone is so getting fired.



Number two: during the first intermission, there was a group of kids singing "God Bless America." Right in front of those kids, there was another set of kids signing "God Bless America." Heather, who was in her own world, looked up from whatever she was doing, saw the kids, and wanted to know why they were doing "YMCA" during "God Bless America."

Number three: I talked to Matt Kassian last night about his being team's Humanitarian of the Year, which makes him the nominee for the league's award. I remember talking to Brandon Rogers when he got this last year, so I know how much this stuff means to the players. And Matt, who is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, gave me some really great stuff for a story I'm going to write for the mothership.

That Kassian story was going to be for today's mothership story, but the Houston Cougars interfered last night and decided to name a new coach for the men's basketball team, so the Kassian thing will run next week.

Do I have any thoughts on the game? Are you kidding, did you see the game? I don't think there were any highlights. Because the wireless was screwed up yet again, I spent the third period down in the press room, writing my mothership post on the Cougars, so I didn't get to see the young kid, Darcy Kuemper, play. I'm sure Heather will contribute some words on that later. Andrew talked to him after the game, while I was with Kassian, and he says Kuemper looks to be about 13.

The Aeros give it another try to tomorrow night. So maybe they'll have some better luck. Hah, who am I kidding? Did you see them play last night?

6 comments:

Chris Jerina said...

"and he says Kuemper looks to be about 13. "

So is that why Ms.C has been so excited about him? He'll be around for a while?

And why exactly were they doing the YMCA during "God Bless America"?

artandhockey said...

Yep, YOUNG, looked like he outgrew his pads;-)!For a snapshot visit my blog - posted one in a Red Jersey! BUT Lanky did rather well, considering!

John Royal said...

Chris:

They were "SIGNING" the song. You, know, sign language. For the deaf.

Forecheck said...

Just when you think things are bad, they get worse.

With Anton up in Minnysohta for the rest of the year, that means were stuck with DubielSieve and a kid for the rest of the season.

Play the kid.

From all the mentions during the game, I gather that season ticket renewals aren't going well. Gee, I wonder why?

Try to enjoy the game Friday, I will be elsewhere having FUN.

Chris Jerina said...

John, LOL!! I could not understand why it was specifically mentioned as two groups "singing"... whoops. Gold.

B2Bomber said...

I did see the Aero's make three good plays last night....on the positive side.....yeah, ya' know!