Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Jordan Hendry blows town for la Suisse

As Chris Jerina first reported on a comment to this blog, Aeros defenseman Jordan Hendry is now a former Aeros defenseman. Hendry, who signed a one-way deal with the Aeros before the regular season, will play in the Swiss A league for HC Lugano. I don't recognize too many names on his new team, with the exception of former Aero and Calder Cup champion Hnat Domenichelli and Rob Niedermayer.

Swiss A is a place where all good AAA hockey player's dreams can come true. Candy grows on trees, most of the pretty women there shave, and the teams ride mounted unicorns to their games.

Ten games into his Aeros career, Hendry had but two helpers, but his +/- was an impressive plus 8.

That kind of experience will be hard to replace, so we'll have to see what Torchetti does with the lineup. The natural fit might be F/D Mike Hoffman. And it might be some other dman in the ECHL, and it might be no one.

In other news, expect Cody Almond to join the Aeros soon. He is healthy enough to play and will be, what Aeros fans hope, is a good addition to the roster. Also, Brett Bulmer was sent back to his junior team, and as far as I know, no Aeros player has been recalled to take his place just yet.

Not sure they need to at this point, but we'll try to keep you posted.


6 comments:

Forecheck said...

I assume Bulmer's departure means Kass stays up there.

Hendry will be tough to replace, but it's sure a good move for him... assuming the typical downsides of playing in Europe don't get to him. Best of luck to him.

CenterIce said...

I can't say I'm surprised. I figured a player with Hendry's experience was only here temporarily. He'll be missed, though, as I'm sure his veteran presence had an effect on the Aeros' locker room.

@Forecheck - I don't think there are any downsides to playing in Switzerland! ;) I'd trade in body parts to get the chance to live in southern Switzerland. It is beautiful everywhere you look and full of friendly people.

CenterIce said...

I can't say I'm surprised. I figured a player with Hendry's experience was only here temporarily. He'll be missed, though, as I'm sure his veteran presence had an effect on the Aeros' locker room.

@Forecheck - I don't think there are any downsides to playing in Switzerland! ;) I'd trade in body parts to get the chance to live in southern Switzerland. It is beautiful everywhere you look and full of friendly people.

Chris Jerina said...

Kass is placed on waivers today.

I mentioned to MsC that Kass was probably coming back when Hoffman's # changed from #42 to #32 on the AHL website.

Forecheck said...

@CenterIce

Some players just can't adjust to the culture change. I remember Kevin Baker of the Wildcatters had trouble with life in Germany (complaining, among other things, that broadcast TV wasn't in English...duh).

OK, when I was working in Bavaria short-term about 17 years ago, there was a broadcast station in Austria which showed old black and white English-language movies at night. But unless you were at a fancier hotel (we weren't) that could pull in BBC or CNN that was it.

There are more English speakers in Switzerland. Now when Andrew says most of the women shave, I have to ask "beards or armpits"....ducking.

AerosPR said...

Hoffman's number listed as 42 instead of 32 was a goofup on my part. One has nothing to do with the other.