Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

12/2/10 -- Aeros v. Rockford -- The My Humps Edition

So was this a strange day of hockey, or what? I know these kiddie games have become a part of every season, but it just seemed strange having to be at the arena that early in the day. I felt out of synch, and the players definitely looked like they were out of it. Still, the Aeros seemed to awake in the third period to tie the game at 2-2 and at 3-3, then they were able to get the win in the shootout as, once again, Anton Khudobin came through when it mattered while the Aeros shooters were able to get a few pucks past the Rockford netminder.

The win moves the Aeros to 12-9-1-2 (27 points) on the season, and puts them in fifth place, one point ahead of the Texas Stars and one point behind Oklahoma City for fourth place. Now for a few thoughts.

1. When did Matt Kassian turn into a good player, skills wise? I've always like Kassian, but he got the assist on the first goal today because he went behind the net for a wraparound like he was one of those skilled and graceful goal scorers we all hear about. I don't think he would have been able to pull off that move several seasons ago, or even last season.

2. And Cody Almond emerged from the dead, assisting on the first two goals and getting the game-tying goal at the 18:41 mark of the third.

3. Mike Yeo said that Almond's been working up to this game: "I think that he’s been getting a fair amount of chances lately and hasn’t been getting rewarded for them. It was definitely nice to see him find the back of the net. I think he’s been doing a lot of nice things, so hopefully that will reinforce a lot of those things that he’s been doing."

4. It seemed that both teams were just sleep-walking through that first period. Yeo sensed that they would have some problems before the game. He said that there was this lack of energy and urgency with the team before the game started.

5. I didn't mind the screaming kids that much -- thanks for the ear plugs, Heather. And I'm thankful that the Toyota Center sound crew kept the Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber to a minimimum.

6. That said, it seemed a bit strange to be playing The Black-Eyed Peas' "My Humps" during the game. I know it was a top 10 song -- which shows how far this country's musical tastes has fallen -- but listening to Fergie going on about her lady parts in an arena packed with elementary school kids just felt wrong.

7. The highlight of the game, besides the Aeros win, was Andrew's rendition of Miley Cyrus' "Party In The USA," which he dubbed "Party In the Ukraine" and which he sung with a Russian/Ukrainian accent. It was supposedly in honor of Anton Khudobin, which means it should have been "Party In The Kazahkstan," but that's only a minor quibble.

8. The press table was packed with NHL scouts today. I wonder if they realized it was the Aeros and the IceHogs playing?

9. I'm going on vacation. So I'll see all of you in a few weeks. Make sure to check the mothership tomorrow for the game story.

10. And to play us out, here's "My Humps," one of the worst songs ever recorded.

5 comments:

B2Bomber said...

My musing on game after having to remove youngsters from my seats:
I thought the Aero's came out fairly strong in the first period but started sucking wind about the 5 to 6 minute mark. Then just sorta' glided through the rest of the first period.
I thought Rockford's coach must have been very "impressive" during the first intermission because they came out pushing the boys at will. It did get better in the second half of the middle period.
The third period, to me, was a whimsical mystery of mistakes by both teams. We just happened to get some lucky bounces to play to an even score.
The officiating was, in my mind, a bit lax especially with two officials on the ice. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to the game to see Cuma, McBride, and Earl skating. Now we're just waiting for Rau and Zignoni, right? Seems to me there was another addition but I've not been home since the game and don't recall at the moment.
I really don't like shootout games but was happy to win.....
Enjoy your vacation, John.

Forecheck said...

1. When did Matt Kassian turn into a good player, skills wise?
Shsssh….don’t let the rest of the league catch on. You aren’t the only one who noticed, I think Minny did too which is why he got the call.

4. It seemed that both teams were just sleep-walking through that first period. Yeo sensed that they would have some problems before the game. He said that there was this lack of energy and urgency with the team before the game started.

I was surprised though that Rockford woke up first. I thought the road team would have even more trouble.

5. Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber
6. The Black-Eyed Peas' "My Humps" … Fergie
.

And I thought the music they normally play leaved a lot to be desired. I’m worried about this coming generation.

8. The press table was packed with NHL scouts today. I wonder if they realized it was the Aeros and the IceHogs playing?.
A chance to hit two games in one day, no doubt. Is there a game in SA or Austin tonight? Even enough time to jet to OKC.

9. I'm going on vacation. So I'll see all of you in a few weeks
What??? No coverage from the Mothership??? Can we get Ms. To start up the stick figures while you are gone?

Some other points:

► John, did you forget to mention this is our first come-from-behind win after trailing in after two? Sure, we didn’t win in regulation and gave up a point to a team we are battling the last playoff spot for, but it is an improvement for this team.

► Rough first 60 for Anton. First goal was quite a shot, so was the second (though he offered no resistance and made it worse with the dramatic fall over backwards), the third was deflected right in front of him. Though Vishnevskiy mercilessly undressed him, he does seem to be quite a good shoot-out goalie, perhaps that’s why the Aeros seem to go conservative in OT. They're playing for the SO.

► “TAHF-FEY”?? Rochester?? He certainly isn’t any better by day.

► Now, if I can just get that ear plug out of my right ear……..

John Royal said...

@B2B: Scandella's back. I'm not sure who else you could be thinking of.

@FC: I didn't forget about the come-from-behind win. It's just that I put in the story for the Houston Press tomorrow. To which I'll try to have someone put up a link when it's posted.

And yes, we would all like to see the stick figures return, but I think Heather's either just too lazy, or else she doesn't like us anymore.

artandhockey said...

Bryce Lampman, wearing 22. from San Antonio..so it is all a bit late.

B2Bomber said...

@a&h,
Yes, Lampman....that's who I was couldn't remember. He finally made a game without being a scratch.
Thanks for the memory jog.