Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ten Years Ago: Aeros win second championship

Oh, how lucky I was. In my first year covering the team for the Houston Chronicle, the Aeros made it all the way to the Calder Cup finals against the Hamilton Bulldogs.

What a great group of guys, and working with then head coach Todd McLellan will always be a fond memory for me. That June, I didn't have enough time or money to stay in Hamilton for Games 6 and 7 because there was a circus in town and a lot of time off between the two games.

I had to choose, and I chose wrong. I flew up to Toronto with a co-worker and we rented a car and drove down to Hamilton for Game 6. The Aeros went down 2-0 in the game and lost 2-1 to force the Game 7. We flew back to Houston the next day and I watched Game 7 on Fox Southwest.

One of our commenters posted this, and I thought I would share it with out. It's the last five minutes of Game 7 and the ensuing celebration. Jim Mill, then a VP with the AHL, presented our MVP, Johan Holmqvist with his trophy after the game.

Here is another trip down memory lane, just about all we have left of our Houston Aeros. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Classy Hamilton fan at 12:55 with the moon during the interview. Thanks for posting these memories of the Aeros!