Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Season in Review - Now that it's over ... it's really over

Every year I covered the team for the Houston Chronicle, I always asked the same two questions to the team's GM when the season finally ended.

"Is the team playing in Houston next year?"
"If so, will Coach X be in charge when that happens?"

Even with leases, you just never know when an affiliation may change or move. I always wanted the GM or team President on record.

As we all know, those questions were moot after this season. The franchise came to a halt after the Aeros were blitzed 7-0 in Game 5 against Grand Rapids. 19 years went up in smoke, even though for the past year or so many of us knew this would be the last time the Wild had its prospects at Toyota Center.

Last season was such a blur to me because of all the uncertainty. I took every opportunity I could to take my kids to see live AHL hockey because I know I probably won't have the same kind of access to the team that I did during this era.

My oldest son, only 8, wants to be a hockey player because of the Aeros. My daughter loves going because she loves the action and the pace of the game compared to baseball and football.

In the first third of the season, the Aeros really had something going with the offense. The middle third, they stayed one of the Top 10 teams because of their goaltending and defense. And then for the home stretch, they made the playoffs because they played a ton of games against teams that ultimately did not make the playoffs. You still have to win the games, sure, but the team was so beat up with injuries and Wild injuries, I was not 100% sure they were going to hold on to their playoff spot.

They went five or six deep on the goalie depth chart and had makeshift chemistry when it came to scoring lines. Justin Fontaine ... just wow. Thank you for putting up with all you had to endure mentally to stay on the top of your game and keep the offense going just enough to get them team into the playoffs.

He is my team MVP for sure. Defensively, I'd have to say that Steven Kampfer and Paul Mara share that honor with what they did after that long six game losing streak in January. The team literally could have tanked at that point and who could have blamed them?

Coach Torchetti and Darcy Kuemper and those two found a away to limit the goals, and Kampfer turned his game completely around to get it done. And the two just happened to be fan favorites on Twitter, too. They were nice guys and both of them have NHL experience. They really stepped up as leaders of a very young blueline.

Torchetti said after the season that his team overachieved this year, and he is right. The Aeros probably would not have one a five-game series against any of the other Top 7 teams, and I think there were three non-playoff teams (Rockford, Lake Erie and Peoria) that would have taken them out in a 7-game series.

Rockford could score like crazy this year, and the Rivermen and Monsters just had the Aeros number this season for whatever reason.

The Aeros made the playoffs and took a very talented Grand Rapids team to a fifth and deciding game. I am good with that and I think Torchetti just does not get enough credit for what he did with this roster the last two seasons.

Before I say my final good-byes and turn this blog into a place for Aeros archives, I wanted to give you my thoughts on the Aeros final season in Houston. I never wanted it to end for obvious reasons, but deep down I knew there was no deep run in them. They just lost too many important parts right when the playoffs started, and that was enough to ultimately take them down.

I will always cherish every Aeros season, as IHL and AHL hockey has been a big part of my life for 19 years. I will remember this team for the spectacular overtime games led by Jason Zucker, Darcy Keumper's spectacular goaltending when he was here and then the home stretch, where guys we've never heard of stepped up in goal and carried the team to the postseason.

Speaking of which, Mike Condon's play with the Aeros earned him an entry-level contract with the Montreal Canadiens after he was done here.

Also, I will remember Steve Kampfers 180-degree shift in play and sadly all the injuries and roster mess up in Minnesota that ultimately spelled doom for this team. Thanks to John Torchetti for always making himself available via phone, text and after the games to answer our questions.

To me, this was a good season ... it just ended way too soon because a lot of us wanted to see them play a few more rounds before moving to Iowa. Thanks again for reading this season, and stay tuned for some final thoughts soon ...

No comments: