Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Dog days of summer

This is the time of year when hockey news just kind of stops.
The major free agent push is over, and we are still at least three weeks away from seeing the AHL schedule.

The prospect camp went really well, and it was nice of the wide to include some video from those games and shootouts.

Aeros head coach John Torchetti got to work with some of the guys that he will be coaching down in Houston next year, and speaking of which, he and the Wild have yet to announce Torchetti's assistants.

The Wild M.O. has been to have two assistants working with the head coach down in Houston, so expect some news on that later this week.

I really wish I could take a guess as to who might be coming here to join him, but it really could be anybody.
The last time he had a head coaching gig, with Moncton of the QMJHL, he took Tony Martino with him. Scott Allen worked with him in San Antonio back in 2002-03, but he is now an assistant with the New York Islanders.

Martino last coached in 2008-09 when he took over for a very poor Tulsa Oilers team that featured former Aeros center Jeff Christian.

That is all for now ... I do think we'll finally hear from the Aeros this week as to when their home opener may be. Based on all the other reports from other teams, and how many of them are opening on Oct. 7 and 8, expect the Aeros to open up on the road.

I think the Aeros won't be at home until that second week.

10 comments:

Forecheck said...

So... no news on Robbie, the biggest re-sign the Aeros have left. Thought he would land a gig sooner than this.

B2Bomber said...

I regretfully will not be renewing my season tickets this year. With my wife's job layoff we can not afford to keep two children in college and survive on my retirement income alone. She was one of many teachers in the state who lost her job through the financial "crisis". She teaches fine arts and they are always the first to go.

John Royal said...

@B2B: sorry to hear the news. We'll miss you at the games. I was laid off several years ago, and I know how difficult that can be to get through, but your priorities are in the right place. Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

John

B2Bomber said...

Thanks John. I'm a finalist for a job in Elkhart, IN. I hate coming out of retirement but we've got to do something. I'm not entirely sure but it looks like the nearest hockey is in Ft. Wayne (Komets). Wish me luck.

Fred Trask said...

That stinks B2B - if I can be of assistance let me know. I assume you know how to contact me, if not the T3I gang does.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Thoughts and prayers!

Fred

Forecheck said...

The Aeros did announce some homedates last week :


Saturday, October 15
Saturday, October 29
Friday, November 18
Friday, December 16
Friday, January 20.

Unfortunately, October 15th is the same date as Wings Over Houston - a busy day for some of us!

Good Luck B2!

B2Bomber said...

Thanks all,

Got word this week that Conn-Selmer is on a hiring freeze due to: 1. Strike at their Eastlake, OH plant and 2. Takeover bid by former CEO who wants to spin off the Conn-Selmer division from Steinway, Inc.

Who knows what's next. I'm still keeping up with what's going on via T3I and will listen in on the radio. I've got a deposit on the season tickets I can't get refunded but can use toward single game tickets so if I'm still around I'll probably do that. Later.

Forecheck said...

@b2 - What line of work are you looking for?

B2Bomber said...

@Forecheck,
I'm currently operating a woodwind repair/sales business part time out of the home. I retired in January '09 after teaching for 32 years. The wife was teaching band in Ft.Bend ISD but teaching jobs in that area are few and competitive. The Conn-Selmer job was working in their parts department. I've been in the music business all my life either teaching, repairing or sales. Thanks for your concern.

Forecheck said...

Also noticed on the Aeros' web site there is now a "tab" for the 2011-12 season schedule, but nothing in it. We might be close....