Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Post-production Photos from Games 1 and 2 (Updated w/Chris's weekend report)

Since our pal, Chris Jerina, was away from his photo editing software, we got the raw stuff earlier. In case you're interested, here's the post-prod versions of the photo sets. Amazing the difference.

Game 1

Game 2

And because I can, here are a few teasers:

How hot is this? Very.

I know it sucks when Dimples gets the hook but, really,
tuque + dimples = more adorable than Basket of Puppies
,
and that's math you can believe in.

All Photos: Chris Jerina

------------------

Update! Chris gives us this fun weekend report:

Friday 5/15
Arrived in Winnipeg at 12:30, picked up and arrived at Fairmont at around 1. Sign seen on the way: "Beer goes great with hockey." Indeed.

The hotel is located at a 4 way, 6 lane intersection, requiring the use of an underground tunnel known as the "circus," which is essentially what it was in attempting to just cross the darn street. (On the way back from the game, we just j-walked... much easier!) Oh yeah, and it was snowing in the afternoon. I thought I was done with this winter stuff!

Picked up the media pass and tickets at 5:30ish and headed into the game after attempting to eat at the restaurant under the arena with some guys staying at the same hotel (who were meeting up with the Moose owner there (who was able to laugh at the wearing of an Aeros jersey). After taking 20 minutes just to get our drinks, we bailed. Warmups > food ;)

The first game, as recapped earlier, very boring. So I'll just recall the noticeable things not necessarily caught in the score sheet. (Some things previously noted)
  • There's something special about 10k fans singing along to the Canadian National Anthem that just gave me a chill of excitement of the upcoming game
  • The first time Canuck prospect Cody Hogson, playing his first pro game, touched the puck, a quiet came over the crowd in anticipation of what he was going to do. Between Games 1/2, I got the opinion that the majority of Moose fans are actually knowledgeable of not only the Moose but also the entire Canucks team (something not seen in Milwaukee for the most-part)
After the Aeros tied the game up, my first thought was "this could end up being a long game," sadly not the case with Mantioba breaking the tie shortly after.

Hotel room was OK, a whistling/humming came from the heater, but otherwise no problems. (Unlike the others I was with, whose room had a litany of troubles: poor flushing toilet, whistling windows, broken thermostat, wobbly chair and being located directly above the 19th floor kitchen meant smelling whatever was being cooked up at the current moment.)

Saturday 5/16
Felt obligated to finally try a Tim Horton's, so had the pleasure of navigating the "circus" again in attempts to get there. Less hassle this time, and enjoyed 2 Bostom Creme donuts (way sweeter than Dunkin Donuts equivalents in the states... too sweet)

Decided to check out Portage Place mall, was 90% womens/juniors fashion, not much interest for guys (in terms of shopping). Had lunch at "Pita Pit," quite fascinating, a fast food place that sells a variety of pita bread sandwiches, rather tasty, would recommend.

On to the interesting night... ate at some restaurant just past the arena called Rinkside. Food was OK, but the room had a, let's just say, interestingly disturbing aroma.

On to the game, gates opened at 6:30 and arrived about then. I've never seen a concourse so packed at the opening of the gates! Was handed a "Go Moose Go" fan, and little did I know it how annoying those things would be.

Had the opportunity to meet Carson McMillan's cousin who was excited about Carson's future with Houston/Minnesota. (Carson ended up being a scratch)

Ended up shooting from the seats rather than the photo sections, to "enjoy" the full ambiance of the fans. We attempted to make the states proud by singing with the star spangled banner, but unfortunately 3 people can't compare to 10k. As soon as "O Canada" started, with drunks trying to sing along in our section, it was already known this could be a long night regardless of the outcome.

Falling behind 2-0 early only gave rise to louder fandom to a cheer of "anton, anton, anton..." apparently "Khudobin" is too hard to pronounce for Canadians. :D Annoying drunk fans enjoyed never shutting up to the ire of not only us, but the majority of the Moose fans, too. (Primarily due to nuggets like "You guys suck, Canada kicks ass." Psst, a number of Aeros are Canadian.) Combine them with the people on the aisle who, when realizing the noise from the paper fans annoyed us to no end, found it a smart idea to kick up the frequency of their usage. Mind you, we were keeping to ourselves, not making a scene, etc.

Thankfully the usher was excellent and after complaining to her, she asked them to keep it down and would check up every 10-15 minutes to make sure they were. Employee of the month (and we told her as much, too!).

Highlight of the night was a fan near us came over and talked to us, and we complained about the paper fans and offered him a dollar bill to take the fan from the seats of the drunks as they were gone at intermission. We promptly tore up the fan, much to the pleasure of most of the fans around us (surprisingly). Apparently that's worth about $1.15 CAN at the moment, so its even better than getting a loonie! (I suggested he frame it though with the ticket, gotta be able to laugh, right?)

With about 2 minutes left in the game, drunk fans decided it was a good idea to start a "na na na hey hey goodbye" chant to the Aeros. Apparently, they cant keep time and ended up being an epic fail. I really had the urge to ask, "Was it over when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor!? When the going gets tough, the tough get..." but didn't need to direct any attention and besides would they even get it?

The game itself was rather exhausting dealing with the fans, so I just had a quick drink and went to sleep.

Sun 5/17

Timmy's for breakfast again, this time trying "old-fashioned glazed" donuts and a French Vanilla coffee. Quick question for any Canadian readers... it is a Timmy-wide policy that donuts must be stacked top-on-top, resulting in one really heavily frosted donut and one without any? Really annoying!

Walked around downtown Winnipeg enjoying the 40-50 degree weather. The architecture in Winnipeg is quite beautiful, with a mix of both contemporary and historic building design. Wish I could say more on it, but not being familiar with any of it doesn't help other than "it's pretty." ;)

Had lunch at Earl's after being recommended by someone from the Wild, rather good food, then headed to the airport for O'Hare.

Given the choice to go again, experiencing what I did, despite the obnoxious drunk fans, I would recommend it to anyone. (Every arena has a few stupid fans... sadly). I would suggest looking into staying at the Radisson though (half a block from the arena), as it is closer to anything of interest. The playoff atmosphere at the arena was amazing compared to any of the games I was at in Milwaukee, Peoria, or Rockford. Plus I'm glad I went as I have a more annoying way to cheer than a cowbell at the games next season (hooray paper fans!)

Finally, the marketing and production values of the Moose are second to none of teams I've seen:
  • My media passes were laminated, with all of my info printed on the pass (fancy!)
  • The advertising around the arena made it impossible to be downtown and not realize the Moose were in the playoff hunt.
  • Jumbotron display/screens were excellent!! During warm-ups, they put the camera on each Aeros player and showed #, name and position, then showed a rundown of accomplishments of both team and a comparison between the teams and their arenas. (I was surprised that Houston's arena holds 18k, until I remember its where the Rockets play too.)

8 comments:

beware the bear(ds) said...

Great report, thanks Chris.

Adore the photo of
'The Locker Glare - just you dare to yell at Anton!'
Worth a 1000 words, eh ;)?

It made it all very immediate, & I did enjoy your sense of humor.

Mystery fan: Who was the blond (?) gal in the Aeros Jersey?

killerwhaletank said...

Here's a long comment, I hope you'll forgive me for it!

This is for all of the bloggers on the site not just in response to Chris Jerina (whose photos are really fantastic)... I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading everything you guys have posted on this blog. You ate up a solid couple of hours out of my day yesterday because I was hooked! You obviously know and appreciate your hockey (and your team), and I love hearing from other fans who are like-minded. :) I may be a Moose fan but I can appreciate after going to Games 1 and 2 that it's certainly no fluke that the Aeros have made it as far as they did. Plus, you guys know your team so much better than I do (and probably ever will since we don't see each other much in the regular season) that I love to see the passion from the fans. You know your Aeros like I know my Moose... it's fun! I wish I'd come across this blog before the weekend, I'd have hunted out the Aeros jerseys to come and say hello.

Game 1, I thought we were pretty lucky to be able to grind our way through it. I would not have been surprised to lose that one, we were not at our best. The Moose are traditionally not their strongest in game 1. It's usually more of a "feeling out" sort of game, and I think being off for 8 days the rust did show, especially in our passing and the number of turnovers. Schneider kept us in that one; you could see that the Aeros were a little battle-weary but they looked a little sharper than we did and when it got to 1-1 I wasn't sure we'd be able to grab the win.

I agree with it being a slow game though. Still had a good time at it, but I felt like I was watching soccer for the first two periods with the 1-0 score. Plus there didn't seem to be too much emotion between the teams yet, I guess because we only saw each other 4 times this year and that was back in December. Haven't had time to dislike each other yet! :)

Game 2 was much more entertaining, and not just because of the score. Both teams stepped it up and there was definitely emotion. Aeros looked a bit frustrated by the end. I think Keaner (Mike Keane) said that one of the things he liked about the team this year was that they didn't have to lose a game to learn a lesson (unlike our parent Canucks, but I won't get in to that) and that has really been the mark of this team all year.

Regarding Cody Hodgson, even as a Moose fan I was a little surprised to hear the level of excitement for him. We've been hearing about him in the paper and we know he's too good to be with us for long so I expected something, but I was surprised people were that fired up. He does look like he has the potential to be a really dangerous player though. Usually it's the guys like Schneider and Keane (who the paper aptly referred to as the "Obi-Wan Kenobi" of the playoffs... it's true, keep your eyes on number 12 at the game tonight and the way he blocks shots, he sets the bar for his team) that get the biggest cheers.

To Chris Jerina, let me add to the apologies about the drunks. They ruin it for all of us... fortunately the Moose organization considers itself very much a family experience so they do have pretty low tolerance for obnoxious behaviour once they've been made aware of it. Compared to other sporting events I've been to (especially Bombers football) the Moose games are usually pretty tame. All it takes is one idiot though to make it a bad experience... I'm glad they didn't ruin the whole time for you!

Regarding the attendance, I was a bit disappointed we didn't quite crack the 10,000 mark on Saturday (were a couple hundred short) because usually it draws the most people, but considering it's the May Long Weekend and half the city has usually left the city by Friday night on May Long, that was pretty good. I know a few folks that were pretty disappointed when the schedule was announced and it conflicted with long weekend plans. That said, we had a great walk-up attendance because the weather wasn't too nice.

The paper fans... they're supposedly called "fan clackers". They give them out every year in the playoffs. I think I still have one sitting around somewhere from last year. I like them but they can definitely be annoying in the wrong hands (like in the hands of the little girl behind me who hit me in the back of the head for 3 periods straight, which her mother did nothing about by the way).

Regarding the "Aaaaaaan-tooooon" chant for your goalie, they picked the first name because it's two-syllables. :) You have to understand that this goes on every round and has been for years. Usually it's because we're facing someone like Toronto (goalie is Justin Pogge) or Grand Rapids (Jimmy Howard) and they're used to taunting them with the raining chorus of "Hooooooooooooooooooooooww-aaaaaaaaaard" and "Pooooooooooooooooo-ggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". It doesn't work as well if the name is more or less than 2 syllables. They tried it a few year ago against Hamilton (when Carey Price was there)... "Caaaaaaaaaaaa-reeeeeeeeeeeeeeey". Actually it was funny because before you beat Milwaukee we made the comment that it would be better for the goalie taunters if you guys won because you had the two-syllable goalie names. ;) How were we supposed to turn "Drew MacIntyre" into a chant?! (Especially since we loved him the last few years when he played for us.)

Anyhow, thanks for all the entertaining reading. I hope it's a good game tonight between the Moose and Aeros. Of course I'm hoping the Moose win, but I am very much expecting the Aeros to come out hard and win either tonight or on Wednesday at least.

Chris, your photos are great.

Ms. Conduct said...

Thanks for the great comments KWT! Glad you're enjoying the site. I think we hope to hit home with AHL fans of all colors, not just green/gold/red.

I love a good goalie razz, so I didn't mind hearing that. Which is odd, seeing as how sympathetic I am to the plight of goalies. Houston really should get on that better. We don't score enough for the goal taunt to get in their heads... :) Note please that Corey Schnider... both two-syllable names. ;) I'm just saying.

Ms. Conduct said...

Er, make that Cory... Dammit.

killerwhaletank said...

I'd love to be able to hop on a plane and come see the action in Houston... A little bit of team rivalry and a good goalie taunt is sometimes the best part of the playoffs. :) How can you not love hockey when it's war while you're on the ice, but all good once the game is done?!! :) As long as the fans don't cross the line (there are some that unfortunately get close) it's all meant to be good spirited.

If we had more history between the Moose and the Aeros I think everything might have been a bit feistier from the start. For example against Grand Rapids, the "Howard" chant was going even before the national anthems in Game 1. ;) You probably noticed the same thing with your opponents in round 1 and 2. If the Aeros make it back here for Game 6, I look forward to new levels of creativity from the fans.

You have no idea how starved this city is for a championship though, and this Moose team is the best chance we've had in a long, long time. We're not taking anything for granted and neither are they because it's the playoffs and we all know that anything can happen, but it's been very exciting to be a hockey fan in Winnipeg this spring. I hope you guys have experienced the same excitement being Aeros fans because that's what the playoffs are about, if you ask me.

Besides, this chance might not come around again for us for a while. We've seen this team develop over the past few years to where it is, but next year I think it's probably going to be a pretty different team. With the Dallas Stars getting their own AHL farm team next year, we will be losing a handful of our regulars because we have both Dallas and Vancouver prospects on the Moose roster right now, some of which have been with us for years. Vancouver's making noises about firing Alain Vigneault after their ugly Stanley Cup exit this year, which means we could possibly be losing Scott Arniel in the future. And let's face it... the down side of being the farm team is that when your guys are really playing well, they don't stay with you very long because NHL clubs start looking. Cory Schneider probably won't be in the city much longer... if Vancouver sticks with Roberto Luongo and doesn't want to bring up Schneider, I'm betting they'll trade him before his contract expires next year to get something for him.

So there is definitely that determination for us this year to get it done! And in all the years of playoff hockey I've watched, I can honestly say I've never been as confident in a Moose team as I am this year. I'm not saying that they can't be beaten because ANY team can be beaten, and none of the teams we've faced have been slouches, but I'm just saying that they are solid from top to bottom and it gives me better hope than I've ever had that we'll see the finals here this year.

Anyways, that was a big sidetrack and I don't want to take focus too much away from the Aeros because it is an Aeros site. :) I just got off on a rant.

Between your blog and some of our regular bloggers on the Moose site, and of course the radio feed from CJOB, it feels almost as much fun as being there. I look forward to hearing about tonight's game later on!

Fred Trask said...

Well said killerwhaletank. Not to mention you also have two guys, from our organization, who we know well in Mark Cullen and Max Fortunus. Two hard working, classy guys. Both are guys any team would love to have.

It's great to see the city behind the team. I believe it makes the job on the ice just a little bit easier with all the fans behind you every night.

Hopefully we'll make a series of it by winning at least two hopefully all 3 here in Houston.

beware the bear(ds) said...

Go Aeros... Y E S... 3 here would be 'luverly'(supply the music from My Fair Lady).
You Moose fans still would get a game or 2 up there. AND Aeros fan that I am, but I do enjoy reading/hearing/seeing news about my young fellow Austrian from Villach.. Grabner. kwt if you see him tell him 'Servus'or 'Gruess Gott' from me.

Chris Jerina said...

Glad you guys enjoyed the read!

BWB, the mystery fan (s actually), were some people from Minnesota I had met at previous Aeros playoff games (so no random creeper pics going on, ha)

KWT, no worries on the drunks! One of the more remembered moments by some in Milwaukee was "that time Chris got pissed off at the drunk college girls in the row in front of him". :-)

Thanks for the info that it had to be 2 syllabuls. In Milwaukee the cheer is the goalie's last name 3x then "YOU SUCK". But there's been times where the goalie's last name is too hard to pronounce resulting in "Josh, Josh, Josh... you suck" type chants of lame-ness.

Looking forward to seeing how tonight's game turns out, there is that saying "its not a series until the home team loses", so lets hope its not a series after tonight ;-)