Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cha Cha Cha (Good) Changes!

Even though I won't realize the finality of giving up the Aeros beat until opening night, I am still happy with my decision to resign from the Aeros beat for the Houston Chronicle.

I have followed this iteration of this franchise since its inception in 1994, and I have missed no fewer than 10 home games since 1996.

In short, it's almost like a divorce, and I don't know what I am going to do when we're finally separated.

Having said all that, I am still going to keep involved, and this site - with our *cough* MILLIONS of followers, will stay up to date. John and I are going to cover the games just like we always have, and we are still trying to work it out so we get a credential for a "staff photographer."

But what about Heather, you say? Well ... it's no secret because she already told all of her Twitter and Facebook friends, but SHE IS GOING TO TAKE OVER THE CHRONICLE AEROS BEAT!

That's right, Heather, er Ms. Conduct, is going to be the team's fifth Houston Chronicle beat writer when she officially takes over very soon.

Since 2009, she has been a very reliable and talented backup as I've had to deal with the birth of two children, one of which had two open hear surgeries, and all the baseball games my son is now a part of on the weekends.

And we can't forget about all the times she stepped up and filled in when I was called away to Chicago following the merger of Continental and United.

In short, it's been great having her in my pocket, and now it's her beat. She will do a great job, and even though the team does not get a whole heck of a lot of coverage, the Chronicle has always staffed every home game.

It's hard to give up something that has been a big part of my life for more than 10 years. But knowing that someone so capable and passionate will be taking over makes it that much more of a joy to have been a part of.

Congrats, Heather ... and Godspeed!

4 comments:

Forecheck said...

Wow!

Congrats, Heather!

Ms. Conduct said...

Thank you, FC! I'm thoroughly intimidated by having to fill Andrew's shoes, but the important thing is we'll still have his magnificent brain full of Aeros knowledge at the ready. :)

artandhockey said...

I know you can do it and do it well! Brava Heather.. alas no more opera afternoons ! You gotta be there instead of at the opera with me LOL.

Anonymous said...

Andrew, congratulations on your many years of excellent Aeros coverage at the Chronicle. Best of luck in your future endeavors. Glad to know you'll still be involved here.

Congrats, Heather! Yes, filling Andrew's shoes will be a challenge, but you're up to it and will do a fantastic job. No doubt about it.